First new Bike Build

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by crazycrawler, Apr 15, 2009.

1. crazycrawler

crazycrawler Member

First motorized bike build.

Attached Files:

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

A fine looking machine. Good work.
  3. crazycrawler

crazycrawler Member

New bike build.

Thanks, I did take a few styling cues from "you know who" but I like that look.

4. pooja84

pooja84 Member

I found it good. Keep up the good work. Hope there's something more unique when you build the second one.
  5. eisle89

eisle89 Member

Sweet, where did you get the tank ?
  6. crazycrawler

crazycrawler Member

New bike build

I have to say, I really do like the look of the gas tank. It has sort of a Ducatti look to it. You can retap the petcock hole in the tank. It comes with threads on the OD. You can tap the inside (ID) for the standard petcock you get with the Chinese engine kits. I also had to weld a small cross bar towards the front of the top frame rail on my bike frame to mount it. Finally, I drilled and tapped a hole for a retainer on the back end of the tank. I will try to post some more pics later of that.

Handy Bikes has the tanks. You need to ask them for it since they don't have a picture on their website. Its for a Standard moped. They don't have petcocks or gas caps. I found a gas cap on Ebay through sheer luck. Its the hinged type with a key lock....too cool. I was going to machine a billet gas cap from scratch and I still may do that. I'll post some pics when I do.

7. motoschwinn

motoschwinn Guest

Like the color and the white tires.... IS that your belly in the pic too?
  8. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

What kind of tank did you use ? My first impression was an old BSA motorcycle, but it's been so long since I've fooled with motorcycles or bicycles, I don't really have a clue. Good looking bike though !
  9. crazycrawler

crazycrawler Member

New bike build

Yeah, that's my belly Motoschwinn :grin5: Gonna have to use the pedals more than the engine to remedy that one.

I'm surprised nobody asked me what kind of bike I used......I can tell you its not an old Schwinn cruiser.

10. biken stins

biken stins Member

Nice job.
    Do you have any problems stopping it ?
  11. motorbikegirl25

motorbikegirl25 New Member

I'm digging the color, awesome job! what was your hardest obstacle in building?
  12. crazycrawler

crazycrawler Member

first bike build

Thanks. The paint is actually chevy orange engine paint.
    Actually getting all the right parts that look right together
    was probably the biggest challenge. It stops ok but I may
    add a front brake.

13. gia

gia New Member

First of all--great job, that is a sharp looking bicycle.

Second...did you make the seat post? I've been trying to figure out how to make something similar, to move the seat slightly behind the "normal" position so that when I'm pedaling, it's a pedal-forward position. I'd need mine with a much lower rise, I suspect though.

The third question is that seat with that post to actually ride in? I was wondering whether it would change the stability or increase the effects of vibrations.
  14. crazycrawler

crazycrawler Member

Thank you for the compliment. This was my first motorized bike build. I'm a pretty tall guy (6'3") so I made the seat post extra long. The post is standard black (gas) pipe you can buy at any hardware store. I believe I used schedule 80 pipe (wall thickness) that was 1/2" black pipe (OD is .846"). It fit perfectly in the frame.

To make the bend, I heated it with a MAPP gas torch (you can probably use propane as well) in a vice till it got red hot and I bent it by hand.
    All this was quite crude but worked out well.

There are no vibrations or problems with the seat mounting with this post and it is quite comfortable to ride in this position. Using schedule 80 pipe makes it strong enough for me (I weigh about 225 lbs).

Finally...THIS BIKE IS CURRENTLY FOR SALE... if anyone is interested. I will be posting it in the FOR SALE section ASAP.