first post... hello to all

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by gforcepdx, Jun 5, 2010.

1. gforcepdx

gforcepdx New Member

Hello fellow spoke twisters,

I am new to the forums and am here largely to research recumbent trikes with power assist. I started researching last year and believe that a Catrike is the best platform from which to build. I took one for a spin quite literally the other day. Spin in this case being, the result of turning too sharply and leaving me with a single wheel and palm touching the ground... good times I say. If I were only going to ride in town (and had far too much money) I would probably go to electric assist. I like the idea of clean energy, little maintenance, and silent operation. However, I believe that we are a few years off before affordable battery's will be a common commodity.

Why you might ask, do I simply not just ride the Catrike sans motor and be done with it? A good question. I have a back condition and some steep hills to contend with. More importantly I am looking for a way to run errands and leave the car behind. Many people would consider a bicycle a step forward, but placing a motor on that that bicycle, a step backward, myself included. However, looking into one of the better made motors (25cc Subaru/robin) with over 200 miles per gallon, seems fairly green if it means leaving my 30 MPG super beetle in the driveway most of the time. As it is, a 10 gallon fill up lasts me well over 3 weeks, but I do use it for going distances over a couple of miles and for hauling.

Hello once again fellow spoke twisters, and safe riding to you all,
    John in Portland Oregon

2. professor

professor Active Member

Hi John, welcome to Motoredbikes!

3. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Welcome to this place!

4. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Nice use of a French preposition.
    The recumbent bikes and trikes are much easier on the lower back.