First post

concretepumper

Local time
10:20 PM
First post (pics and video added)

Hey guys. New guy here from SoCal. Just built my first friction drive. I will post it on the friction drive forum.

Well for whatever reason I still can't make a new thread in Friction Drive so I will share my build here for now till the mods approve me or whatever needs to happen. Lol.

Just wanted to share a little project my Son And I built this weekend. I got the idea from watching youtube videos.
We bought a new Echo weed wacker a few weeks ago and I had the old homelite just needing a purpose. It would hardly run. I found the stupid spark arrestor (small screen over exhaust holes) was clogged. Removed the screen and it fired right up. So after a few hours of research we went to work. I haven't spent any money so far.
We used fish tank air tubing for fuel lines and a Craftsman socket for the drive spindle. I was skeptical if it would work much less stay together. Man this thing rips. Maybe 20 plus MPH. We have run 2 tanks of gas through it so far with very little adjustments.
The pull starter has to be scrapped to attatch the drive so starting is a snap. Just get on and give it a few spins on the pedals and it fires up and accelerates. We still need a longer throttle cable but for zero dollars we have a Motorcycle. Lol. Since I don't have a Harley anymore. Oh yea I have another old weed wacker we are already taking apart to bolt onto the other spare Diamond Back.
I will try and get a video up later with it running.

Weedwackerbike001.jpg

Weedwackerbike002.jpg

Weedwackerbike003.jpg

Ok as promised here is a short video of my Son riding it. He had just fixed a small fuel leak we had and he was excited to ride it so I could make a video to share. Not sure how but one run this afternoon and the rear tire went flat. It is super hot out so who knows. Too hot in the Garage to fix it now.

Click on the pic to watch!

]

Last edited:
Hey guys. New guy here from SoCal. Just built my first friction drive. I will post it on the friction drive forum.
What motor do you have on that friction drive?

I put about 3500 miles on a Staton 35 cc Robin Subaru and I have
had enough of friction drives.
The friction roller bearing are trashed and I am sick of all the flat tires.
The roller is pretty worn out too.
It has been very reliable but I am through with FD's......

There were a few friction drives at the last Willow Springs race.

Back