First ride, less than 2 miles, broken shaft

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Jdude, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Jdude

Jdude New Member

Staton Inc Friction drive kit, eh035 motor.

Got it all put together, did my first run. The bar that connects the friction roller to the motor snapped in half at the point of the round metal thing (looks like a flat bell).
    So I had to pedal home.

I will be making contact with staton to get the part replaced tomorrow when they are open.

So that is where I am at now.
    No pictures, my camera is broken.
    -Jdude

2. stringer

stringer Banned

that stinks!!!

i hope you get it straightened out ASAP.

has this happened to any1 else? :confused:

3. Accender

Accender Member

Once your setup is fixed right, you will love the eho35, rock solid!

A

4. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

I would like to see a photo of this break when you can. that is a wierd break, I think.

5. loquin

loquin Active Member

Same here. I've been using mine for three years, with a more powerful motor, and no issues...

6. rwquiring

rwquiring New Member

Broken Shaft

jdude.

I to have the same problem, I had 120 miles and snap it just broke! :???: I have contacted Dave at Staton-inc. and he wanted to have me send a pic of it and he said that it must hve been over hardened and will send me a new shaft. I will attach a picture if it is any help.

Thanks
    Q

Attached Files:

7. kerf

kerf Guest

Most unusual, I have replaced rollers and have had to apply major torque to break the drum loose. Uses red Loctite.

8. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Jdude

Any word from Staton, I'd be interested in what the followup is.

9. Jdude

Jdude New Member

I made a new thread about the follow up, but I'll post the info here.
    This thread has the most recent info about my bike.
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=13716

I called staton, they asked for a digital image of the damage. I sent it, they put the new parts in the mail same day. I had them 4 days later. No charge to me.
    I am at around 100 miles now with no problems.
    Staton-Inc. did me right.

10. Happy Valley

Couple of questions if ya will:

What size roller was the one that broke?

Did you have to swap the replacement parts yourself and if so how much of a job was that?

Thanks.

11. Jdude

Jdude New Member

Excuse the poor terminology -

1.125 drive shaft. The shaft snapped at the point where it screws into the bell. I received a replacement drive shaft and bell, which screwed together pretty easily.
    The engine separated from the housing easily. It has 4 screws that need an Alan wrench. The bell fell out when I removed the engine. To remove the drive shaft, I smacked it with a hammer on the non motor side. I greased the new drive shaft, then I put it in by smacking it with a hammer. I tightened the bell into position, and held my hammer menacingly to make it behave. The motor went back on pretty easily and I tightened the screws down with my alan wrench.

Total time 15-20 min, primarily because I looked for an easy way to remove the shaft and did not find it.

Every few days I show my hammer to the engine so it behaves.

12. Happy Valley

I see. Thanks Jdude.

I gotta say you seem to be taking it all pretty good. I think I'd be pretty POed, it's pretty inexcusable for something like that out of the box. These things I'd think were well tested.

Well, here's to many trouble free miles.

BTW, there were no snap rings on the shaft?

13. Jdude

Jdude New Member

I don't know what those are. I am an electronics guy, not so much a motors guy. The shaft was snapped, there didn't seem to be any parts that were designed to break to protect the main equipment. If you mean half moon slip ring things that hold stuff in place, I pulled those off to no effect. Hence the HAMMERTIME.

As to being POd?
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff. ;)