First Ride to Work!

Local time
4:00 PM
Or should I have titled the story "Running Scared!"

22 miles of some of the most bike unfriendly road I've ever encountered, but boy was it fun! Chuck holes, debris, I even had to run over a stewed racoon carcass. I was on the concrete curb strip, and saw it too late to zig, 'cause there was a car next to me. SQUISHH! He was nice and soft, so I hardly noticed.

Machine done good. Nothing rattled loose. Smooth sailing, 'cept for the coon.

Tonorrow morning is supposed to be 45 degrees, so I may cheat and try to get this thing on the bus.

Good job, man!

I've run over a few rotting animals, too. No room to zig-zag.

But my commute is only a bit over 6 miles, one way. You guys who manage 20-something have my respect. Your hands must get numb. Or have you padded the handlebars? Gloves, maybe?

Good luck with the bus thing; our system just won't take a bike that carries fuel.
But riding in the 40s is not impossible. You just gotta dress up.

Have fun.

The key to less buzzing in the seat and handle bars is to keep the speed at about 15 to 20, at least that's the case with mine.

Next month, I will change workplaces, and will only have a 2.5 mile commute. Not nearly the 'expedition' it is now. I'll install the tire chains in a couple months!

You know, I considered making tire chains. Would've been easy enough.

But then I realized that that would make my brakes totally inoperative.

How'd you get around that?

I was just kidding, but I've got coaster brakes. But there's no way anything like that would clear the frame. I need to be more careful with my humor. You crazy people just might try it!

They make studded bike tires. They're not typically for road use though. I used to bike every day of the year, regardless of the weather (which can vary greatly in Chicago.) In the winter, the trick was to just keep the speed low, never power through turns, brake early and always be prepared to put a foot down. And I used to ride a road bike with skinny tires. Only fell once on an unsalted street. It was in a "historic" district, so they couldn't use salt on it. It was literally an ice rink.

Yup, I've been an Ice-Biker too. It is doable. Rode it pretty much the way you just described, sjackson.

I'll probably do it this year. Though it'll probably be a pedal bike. I just can't help the feeling that a motor assisted bike in snow and ice just ain't gonna work.

But I'm pretty sure to experiment a bit. I'll report the results.

Yup, I've been an Ice-Biker too. It is doable. Rode it pretty much the way you just described, sjackson.

I'll probably do it this year. Though it'll probably be a pedal bike. I just can't help the feeling that a motor assisted bike in snow and ice just ain't gonna work.

But I'm pretty sure to experiment a bit. I'll report the results.

C'mon! You need to try a 30mph power slide on a frozen pond! Hahaha....it would be a cool feeling. (until/unless you wiped out, which is basically inevitable). I am one of those guys who rides 20 miles each way to work and back when I can. I rode yesterday....about 40 degrees on my way in and TOTALLY dark the entire ride. My headlight setup works GREAT! 55 watt headlight lights up the road as well as a motorcycle! My battery has no trouble lasting an hour (haven't tried longer so I don't know how long it would last before dying). Part of my trip is through a forest preserve area with NO lighting...pitch black on my ride. That headlight really lights up the road GREAT. Total cost was under $100, including the headlight (with a spare to boot!), battery, charger, and switch. Not bad!

Warner

Rode home from work this morning after the night shift. 40 degrees was 'bracing', but I never felt cold. Discovered a better route home in the weekday mornings when the Interstate "Express"way is a parking lot.

Get this: Yesterday morning, by car, took me 70 minutes to get home. With my Happy Time, I made the route, coming and going, in an average time of 76minutes (per leg), and used a sippy cup of gas to cover 40 miles roundtrip.

Sorry Henry Ford... but I may just have a 'better idea'!

Rode home from work this morning after the night shift. 40 degrees was 'bracing', but I never felt cold. Discovered a better route home in the weekday mornings when the Interstate "Express"way is a parking lot.

Get this: Yesterday morning, by car, took me 70 minutes to get home. With my Happy Time, I made the route, coming and going, in an average time of 76minutes (per leg), and used a sippy cup of gas to cover 40 miles roundtrip.

Sorry Henry Ford... but I may just have a 'better idea'!

My ride is 19 miles each way. On my way in to work, it takes me 45 minutes as I do NO pedaling-only. On the way home, I pedal (engine off) for 2 miles of the trip and it takes me about 55 minutes.

Warner

Back