First Ride Today - SUCCESS!!!

F

f11at125

OK, this turned out to be twice as hard - and twice as much fun - as I had originally anticipated.

I started out by stumbling upon an eBay auction - from what I have since learned is one of the less esteemed sellers out there, but... he shipped fast and my motor is installed and running, so, my glass is half full.

My original plan was to put the motor on what used to be my only bike- a Trek 12-speed hybrid. Remember when you didn't know any better and believed that "any bike" could be motorized? That was me, and I was wrong.

So I ended up buying a Manhattan Cruisers (brand) "Lava." But I didn't want it to be too easy, so I added a 3-speed hub, requiring me to get the hole in the center of the cog enlarged at a machine shop.

I'm really pleased that I was able to balance both chains without a tensioner; I think that's a huge part of ending up with a reliable and safe ride.

I also like the fenders. I had to cut the rear one with a dremmel wheel and then fold 1/8" of metal on the new edge - that came out looking factory.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get this frame to work with a baloon tire. The tolerance on the drive chain is incredibly close on both sides, and I'm almost surprised it runs perfectly without any chain slap whatsoever.

I'm also amazed at how much **** has already collected in the fuel filter - sheesh!

So this morning I went to start it for the first time - nothing. Ride back up the hill, try again...nothing. Try one more time, again getting nothing, and I was really crushed. You all probably know what it was - the kill switch. After I killed the kill switch, it started immediately and I was off.

I'm going to post a photo (I've been waiting until it is a confirmed and genuine RUNNING machine) - then I'm off to ride some more.

Thanks for all the indirect help you all have provided me through the boards!

Happy motoring,
Doug

Attachments

• lava.jpg
    lava.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 374
That's a very elegant looking bike...did that sound *** ? Well, the fenders really look nice! Very cool!

Welcome to the group and make sure and let us know about the quality of your kit.

Dan

That's a very elegant looking bike...did that sound *** ? Well, the fenders really look nice! Very cool!

Welcome to the group and make sure and let us know about the quality of your kit.

Dan
oo no that is a very elegant looking bike......if you will

nice job jim:D

Back