First Ride Today - SUCCESS!!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by f11at125, Aug 4, 2007.

1. f11at125

f11at125 Guest

OK, this turned out to be twice as hard - and twice as much fun - as I had originally anticipated.

I started out by stumbling upon an eBay auction - from what I have since learned is one of the less esteemed sellers out there, but... he shipped fast and my motor is installed and running, so, my glass is half full.

My original plan was to put the motor on what used to be my only bike- a Trek 12-speed hybrid. Remember when you didn't know any better and believed that "any bike" could be motorized? That was me, and I was wrong.

So I ended up buying a Manhattan Cruisers (brand) "Lava." But I didn't want it to be too easy, so I added a 3-speed hub, requiring me to get the hole in the center of the cog enlarged at a machine shop.

I'm really pleased that I was able to balance both chains without a tensioner; I think that's a huge part of ending up with a reliable and safe ride.

I also like the fenders. I had to cut the rear one with a dremmel wheel and then fold 1/8" of metal on the new edge - that came out looking factory.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get this frame to work with a baloon tire. The tolerance on the drive chain is incredibly close on both sides, and I'm almost surprised it runs perfectly without any chain slap whatsoever.

I'm also amazed at how much **** has already collected in the fuel filter - sheesh!

So this morning I went to start it for the first time - nothing. Ride back up the hill, try again...nothing. Try one more time, again getting nothing, and I was really crushed. You all probably know what it was - the kill switch. After I killed the kill switch, it started immediately and I was off.

I'm going to post a photo (I've been waiting until it is a confirmed and genuine RUNNING machine) - then I'm off to ride some more.

Thanks for all the indirect help you all have provided me through the boards!

Happy motoring,
    Doug

Attached Files:

• lava.jpg
      lava.jpg
      File size:
      125.1 KB
      Views:

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome, Doug, to MBc ! :D
    nice lookin bike, I really like the fat duck-tail fenders :cool:

3. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

That's a very elegant looking bike...did that sound *** ? Well, the fenders really look nice! Very cool!

Welcome to the group and make sure and let us know about the quality of your kit.

Dan

4. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

Welcome to MBc ! yet one more super happy time smile! :rolleyes:

5. quay1962

quay1962 Guest

welcome to MBc and happy motoring!

6. Jim H

Jim H Guest

Welcome, niiice ride!

7. beach cruzin

beach cruzin Guest

oo no that is a very elegant looking bike......if you will

nice job jim:D

8. drimpact

drimpact Member

Welcome to the group.
    Nice looking bike!

9. Really nice bike! we always love a clean build!

10. alesterfeind

alesterfeind Guest

Very nice frame and cool fenders. Looks like it was all meant to go together.

11. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Good lookin cruiser. Welcome to MBc.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2007
  12. beast775

beast775 Guest

1once it happens thats it!

welcome and very nice bike youll have fun,i was thinkin this never ends once it happens thats it.

13. minibiker

minibiker Guest

wow thats just beautiful:D i loved it when my bike fired up after putting every thing together have you been on any long rikes yet??

14. f11at125

f11at125 Guest

Long Rides? Check!

I have been on a couple of 15-milers. This engine seems to have broken in quite well; I haven't had any tech issues to speak of. I'm actually thinking about selling this one while it's perfect to fund an off-road version; I find myself passing interesting-looking trails and thinking "if I can get this together on a 3-speed hub, I'm sure I can pull it together on a mountain bike frame..."

So if anyone has any knowledge of anyone in the Boston/Providence area that might be interested in buying a road-ready mb for $500, drop me a note and I can provide a test-drive :)

15. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

You might want to post it in Buy/Sell/Trade. It's such a nice looking ride, I'd think someone would want to buy it.

16. Marktur

Marktur Member

Man, I love the fenders...keep it and build a second off-road machine!

Welcome to "the club"!

PS. Mountain Bikes with full suspension will require a rack-mount...something to consider. I personally feel better with the center of gravity as close to the ground as possible...so I'm putting a springer fork on the front, and using a spring seat post and a big soft springy seat, and then I'll be a happy camper.

17. fastboy9

fastboy9 Member

That post was from well over a year ago so I dont think the guy is still around! Nice ride though, personally I would much prefer an off roader over a cruiser any day.
    Fastboy

18. Marktur

Marktur Member

Weird...I went to New Posts and there is was...
    Oh well...

19. Accender

Accender Member

+1

A