First Thread Interduction

smokie old bikes

Local time
6:38 PM
I am a retired mechanic of 50 years I rebuild bikes for the poor familys in my area.I install motors on some to sell from snow blowers I build them old school. I ride a 1972 Raleigh Superbe that was a garage find it is like brand new and all so a schwinn stingray occ chopper with a 8hp motor on it . Smokie

Welcome, hope to see some pics of your rides. Lot of inspiration here for many projects.

Yeah, tell us some more. Neat thing you are doing with bikes.
What kind of snowblower eng. Techumseh?
Whereabouts are you.
Here in Buffalo we've got snowblowers

Ghost Thanks For The Reply
Professor I Use Any Thing With A Horzonal Shaft Mostly Techumseh Here In Mn The Motors Last A Lot Longer Than The Blower Itself.i Get Them From Garage Sales 5 To 20 Dollars

That is what I thought.
Just picked up a 50cc off of a Toro snow pup. Never seen one that small until I went over to get it. Never seen a carb with semi-solid black goo in it either until I got it home.

snowblower motor

Professor I started out with the pup motors I didn,t have any luck with the 2 cyc motor mostly carb problems you have to unhook the governor to use it. I stay with the 4cycle SMOKIE

Smokie- I did a 24 inch bike a few months ago using the techumseh 2 stroke off an S-200 toro (6hp) and it runs real nice. What I did is braise an arm for an idle stop, added a idle stop screw and spring (like a normal carb).
Then, instead of the stock throttle opening spring that is fixed to a hanger- I attached the cable from my hand throttle to that spring. The throttle now controls rpm from idle upward, but still uses the governor to keep from accidentally blowing the motor up. I like it.
Those 6hp jobs weigh 10 pounds and the little 3 hp 50cc weighs 9. Both need better muffling though.

Back