Break In First time builder, engine won't idle, hard to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been riding it around for years without incident. Bolts holding it to the eyelets are double nutted, a regular and a lock nut on each side. Top bolt is my brake, so don't see the problem there?

imo the worst part of this mudguard design is they include cheap screws that rust. Before I got my dynamo set I ended up holding the back one to it's wire support with a cable tie after the screws gave up. Other than that it's proven itself extremely durable. Never been gentle with this bike but I always make sure everything is tight and undamaged.

Okay mystery time. Compared the second exhaust gasket to the intake manifold. Completely differently sized.

EDIT: upon closer inspection, the second gasket is just part of the first one. It's somehow peeled in half when I took the pipe off. Squished back together it measures 2.5mm or so on my calipers.

Last edited:
I see you flipped your head around, I do that on every 2-stroke build too, the thing is head torque is critical to keeping good compression, and you can't do it by hand.

You need a torque wrench to do it right.

On a 66cc slant head I torque the head down 20#, 5# at a time in a X pattern.

I didn't flip it around, it came that way. All I've done is take the engine out of the box and put it on the bike according to the instructions.

Interesting...
What is name of your engine kit?
It says something on it, or least you know who you paid.

I have never seen a quality kit that didn't have the plug facing backwards.
That is neither here nor their, but coupled with it being black which is often used to cover up flaws on factory seconds, it's quite probable you got box of s**t to start with.

You can't 'tune out' bad to start with bud, but that may be your reality.

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
disconnect the stator coil from the CDI and see how many AC volts it is putting out

I got her up to 90VAC pedalling down the street, so the stator coil works.

I'm still thinking CDI. Tried testing resistance between black and blue wires on that and got a reading of infinity, which is uh, yeah.

I've been reading your site. I like your style, especially fixing the transfer ports with JB weld, and that expansion chamber.

Last edited:
Doesn't have a name on it. Bought from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111935828453?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT Manual says "A80"

Still no spark, magneto reading 333Ohms. CDI measured between black wire and spark plug connector reads 3.61k!

Are CDIs known to suddenly die?

EDIT: Spark plug cable taken off CDI, retested. 3.65k ohms. Continuity tested the spark plug attached to the cable and that's fine. I think my CDI is busted.
that kit is about as cheap as they come. I buy just engines that cost twice that

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back