First Time Buyer/Builder

So, after kicking around some ideas. I have finally made a decision to build a Motorized bike. I first wanted the GT2-a frame with a 4 stroke motor but im trying to keep costs down and im a little impatient and want to get my feet wet and see if this is something i really want to do or not.

So right now i have a 2005 KHS DJ 100. Its a dirt jumper and i just measured the frame and it will fit a 2 stroke. I hope.

I am looking at this kit on ebay and i just want to know if anyone has bought this exact kit before and if its a decent starter kit.

Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/80cc-Flying-Horse-Bicycle-Engine-Kit-Motorized-Bike-Gas-Black-2-Stroke-66cc-NEW-/181524005982?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a43ac845e&vxp=mtr

I am skilled enough to build a bike and a motor I just havent put them together. Any help will do. I will post pictures of my progress as well.

Lastly, Is there another way to mount the motor on a bike with a larger downtube without the bracket?

Thanks

Don't be fooled by the ads....all of these Chinese 2 stroke kits are basically the same.....A brand name means NOTHING..

You'll need to use the adapter unless you can fabricate your own custom mount. You may have to get a larger frame.

All the Chinese 2-strokes (with varying brand names) are pretty shoddy quality and need a lot of maintenance.

That engine looks as good as any. I would be ure and get a 415 (motorcycle) chain. They are almost indestructable.

Another thing: Motor mounts are key and it is best to over engineer them. Make it so your motor is straight and cannot move.

Well I bought my first kit and it should be here by Friday. I'm going to be going through it and using the guided on here that help you before you install the motor.

Does anyone happen to have a video on things that's should be done before installing your motor?

This will be a bit tricky...

mid-dj100.jpg

... but it looks to be doable and I'd do it this way if that helps any.

First you need to get an accurate diameter of your downtube and head over to http://SickBikeParts.com

Their 'muffler clamp' based inverted mount is what you want for the front.
They have a Large size and Small size plate, start with the clamp sizes you can order with the Small size list.

It will let the motor almost it on the frame and provide a strong 360 grip.

Dback48ddRclose.jpg

You will most likely need an offset intake as well, but it's a tough call.

That example bike has a bigger cavity than yours so you will want a front slanted plug.
If it doesn't come that way, spin your head 180 degrees.
I do 66cc head torque to 15# cold and after initial testing torque it down to 20# hot.

While at SBP get yourself a dual pull brake lever, and for a cheap boost get an NGK 5944 (BPR7HIX) iridium spark plug.
The 7 is the heat index, if you have snow get a 6 (BPR6HIX).
And since you have lever/thumb shifters get the Grip Shifter for the appropriate # of gears too, 7 on that back sprocket?

While you wait on parts you can start on the handlebars.

In short you already have full handles and you need to add a full grip throttle and clutch lever.
2 things need to go.
In short, Strip everything off down to bare bars.

1. You won't need a way to change what front pedal sprocket you are on from the handlebars with an engine, pull the entire front derailleur system and controller off and manually put the chain on the front sprocket you want.

2. You can't work 3 pull levers at the same time and where the dual brake lever comes in.
Ditch both bike levers and put the dual pull on the right before the throttle.

That leaves room for the clutch lever and then a grip shifter for your rear gears.
It's reading is upside down but it works great without looking.

*ANIMATED 2 IMAGE GIF, GIVE IT A MINUTE TO TOGGLE.

KChandleBars.gif

It doesn't matter what back gears you have, just that it is a rotary shifter.

Last but FAR from least is the grips.
I think I have only used like 3 kit grips on my last 80+ builds! They SUCK, even minimal vibration gets old after 1/2 an hour.

I just cut the stock grips off the throttle barrel with a utility knife and pitch'em
The throttle barrel grip is the tough one, it is fatter.

For what you have just a package of BMX black foam bike grips will do the trick, it's what I use if the bike didn't have padded leather stitched grips that is.
Those are soo cool.

Anyway, just some things to keep in mind as you not just add a gas motor to your bike, but control it.

Your awesome KCvale. Thank you for taking the time to type up everything to help me. I will check the fitting of the motor when it gets here and see if i will need any of those parts you listed. I will also be ordering the Dual Brake Lever. I have already converted the bike to a single speed, because i was using it as a 26inch BMX. So, i wont have to worry about taking much off the bars.

My only question is that you said to torque the head down to what exactly. Cause it says 15# and 20#... Do you mean foot-pounds? or?

Again thank you for your help. I will get some pictures soon....Once I Get the motor

Your awesome KCvale.
My only question is that you said to torque the head down to what exactly. Cause it says 15# and 20#... Do you mean foot-pounds? or?
You're welcome twitch.
Foot Pounds.
The manual says 15# but I find 20# when hot to be best on a 66cc.

Just tighten a couple pounds at a time on each nut in a crossing pattern until they are all the same.

You would get a kick out my torque wrench, it's as old as I am but still does the trick.

So I finally got my motor kit in the mail yesterday and it came way quicker than i expected. Here is a piture of my bike that i hopefully plan on installing the motor into.
rsz_img_20150121_104601.jpg

And a picture of the motor sitting in the frame.
img_20150121_104657.jpg

Now of corse I was very excited to go out and test fit the motor because I wasnt very sure it would even fit. And to my suprise....It didnt. Heres why. My downtube is just a tad too large as you can see in the picture.
img_20150121_104718.jpg

Also for it to fit with the carb i had to take off this part here...
img_20150121_105426.jpg

So now the motor just sits on the frame like this...
img_20150121_104733.jpg
Which i know is not good.

And then theres the problem with the carb not fitting with the ait filter enclosure on it. and i had to take off the carb cable adjuster.
img_20150121_104705.jpg

Hopefully i can get some help on what to do or if i should just find another bike? All help is appreciated.

But... I think I can make it work. Now tell me if this is wrong or wont work.
Im sure if i grind down the downtube mount very carfully on the side so that it wont have a gap andymore. I can then make or buy another airfilter to fit, buy a 90 degreee cable adjuster and then cut down the part that goes on the studs for the seat post mount so that its not as tall, then everything will be good.... My main question is that if i grind the downtubes motor mount..will it make anything weaker or ???

Back