Fix my Whizzer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Quenton,

I very much doubt that I have an interference given the multiple reasons we already mentioned. And if you ran that head with a high lift cam, then there's just no way... I just figure that I didn't tighten the jam nuts sufficiently.

You don't use a Loctite product on those, do you?

I'm still surprised by how clean the spark plug was after driving it for about two miles, also more surprising given that fact that I'm running the (big) stock jet.

Hey go-rebels .....you have tried starting fluid, so you know you have fuel and you checked for spark.I think I would look further into the spark.Your spark may be weak. Is it a nice blue spark or a weak yellow one. I've had these problems on cars and have found bad ignitors or cdi units.

Baverian

Also make sure you have constant blue spark. I just had a customers Whizzer in the shop that had spark at first glance & became intermittant. It would spark about every 6th or so stroke & sometimes not at all. It turned out to be the coil. I haven't seen to many electrical components fail on theese, but this one sure did. Good luck, Dan

I checked for spark in outside daylight and it appeared "white" so I thought it was OK. I saw some sparking and really can't say that it was every cycle; it could certainly be intermittant. I did add starting fluid to the carb, but if my intake isn't opening, then I'm not getting fuel into the cylinder.

I need to fix the lifter gap first, then if I still have trouble starting I'll look into the spark further. I got home very late from work yesterday and had no time to adjust the lifters.

If after adjusting the lifters I still cannot get it to start normally, I'll pull the plug and put some starting fluid directly into the cylinder. If it still doesn't fire, then I know for certain that I'm not getting spark and will have to look at the ignition circuit further.

What will it cost me to have a spare CDI unit and coil sitting on the shelf?

Intake/Exhaust adjusted to 0.006"/0.008". New plug installed. Consistent blue spark seen at tip of plug and against cylinder head. Throttle "cyclinder" within carb moving fine. Starting fluid sprayed into carb with throttle wide open. No ignition... not once. Plug pulled and starting fluid sprayed directly into cylinder. Still no ignition.

This is impossible!

(but battery is fully dead; on trickle charger now)

I'm thinking outside the box and this is a bit of a long shot, but check your wiring harness to make sure you don't have a positive wire shorting against the frame. This theoretically could cause the frame (and engine) to have a positive ground (instead of negative, resulting in no spark) and also be the cause of the dead battery.

But my spark is fine.

I'm thinking now that I may have a bad plug wire, that when bent into the proper position to fit the plug is bad and creates an open circuit. Now that's a longshot!

I'll try again tomorrow night with a good battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back