Fixie Thruster Walmart Bike

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Rockjaw, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Rockjaw

Rockjaw Member

Anyone have one of these? I put an engine on it and everything went well..had to grind the pedal a little bit but the brakes are terrible...the bike stops but ..they suck...not sure if its a dud bike with lousy brakes or are they all terrible?

Attached Files:

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

seen walmart bikes lately with crap brakes - good news is that they only last a week or so before wearing pads to a nub, so you can get decent new pads into them : )
  3. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

You got that Thruster for $100 - that explains the poor braking! Build looks good!
  4. Rockjaw

Rockjaw Member

thanks! ..yeah walmart has them...its a pretty good bike to motorize..i think i just got unlucky with the brakes so i bought another fixie..gonna swap brakes and return the new one...this bike is very lite and halls ass when you pedal and throttle it
  5. k-wad

k-wad Member

Cheap side-pull calipers like they put on wally-world bikes are the worst! The tend to flex a lot and almost always come with terrible pads.
    The best way to get side-pull calipers to work is to get rid of as much of the flex in the system as possible, keep the rims clean and occasionally rough up the contact surface of the pads with an emery board to remove the glazing.

New pads would be a good cheap place to start.
    Higher quality cables will also help (cheap cables can be somewhat stretchy. Stretchy equals clamping energy lost).
    And, if you are willing to spend a few bucks, higher quality calipers (cheap calipers are usually thin and flex quite a bit. Flexing equals clamping energy lost)

A good pair of well set up side-pulls can stop a bike quite well.
  6. Rockjaw

Rockjaw Member

ok awesome! thanks
  7. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

I don't build on $100 bikes and have no clue how the rest of your parts will hold up, but you can fix for C-brakes and make the thing safer.

First off I suggest get yourself a $10 dual pull 'teeter-todder' self adjusting brake lever from sick bike parts for $10 so you don't have 3 levers on your handlebars.

Pull off both your independent brake levers.
    Put the dual pull brake lever behind your throttle.
    That leaves just the clutch lever on the left.

Then hit your local bike shop for 2 sets of some quality brake pads for like $25.
    Make sure you align them right!

That should fix you right up and make your build a bit safer to operate, how the rest of the $100 bike lasts is a story you will need to tell.
  8. Rockjaw

Rockjaw Member

ok awesome advice ;)