FLASH,20 below in toronto with wind chill

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dave1490, Dec 1, 2007.

1. dave1490

dave1490 Guest

i guess i,ll be parking it for the winter.anyone else getting strange whether.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2007

2. Wow...It's cold here in VA....or so I thought until I saw this post....Comparatively we are toasty!

3. OldPete

OldPete Guest

An ill wind is blowing if Toronto is getting the lake effect that normally hits up-state New York.

Attached Files:

4. beast775

beast775 Guest

ow man

i dont miss that 1 bit spent quite a bit of time in southern ontario and northern parts!!!!! is it in celcius 20 below or farenheit?i drove motorcycles in that for over 20 years, my hands are destroyed from it im not kiddin.im lucky to see 30 degree lows for a few days on the pacific ocean here.yuck yuck yuck.all i have to say is leather snowmobile mittens,with tons of mink oil!

5. mickey

mickey Guest

Ha! 72 in lower Alabama. I let 2 new people ride the Skyliner today, both road bikers. They came back grinning and asking lots of questions. I kept saying, go home, go to www.motoredbikes.com and read read read. We may have some converts.

6. Abeagle

Abeagle Guest

Just moved from Duluth Minnesota 2 months ago, now residing in Houston TX to get away from those conditions. It was 72 and overcast, but a great day. Duluth was up to 9 inches of snow since yesterday and its still falling. I don't miss the snow shovel.
    I hope that what ever the weather is where you are you are safe and happy.

7. dave1490

dave1490 Guest

it,s in celcius but that,s still around 0 farenheit and colder if your flying around on your bike.im from vancouver also,and the winters seem colder and the summers seem hotter here.but then it,s most likely a lasy saturday morning for mr alaskavan.

8. dave1490

dave1490 Guest

well that,s it. it,s sunday and we just got 6in of snow.

9. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

It's 20 f here this morning. Once the sun comes up, I'll ride the Trek gingerly over to the shop and put a studded tire on the front. Then I think I'll ride out to 7 mile. Should be a beautiful day. Mostly dry pavement with just the occasional patch of glare ice.

10. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Guest

Gee, 68 with a 40 MPH wind on the edge of the desert. And no snow to shovel. THe stuff that fell Thanksgiving is Long Gone!

11. Ha. It's cold here too but I put on my coat,gloves and my Nacho Libre mask and I'm toasty riding to the grocery store.

12. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

It dropped to 9 degrees (f) before I got out there this morning. I keep my bikes inside, so they were warm to begin with. I rode 1 1/2 blocks to the bank on the trike. By the time I got done with the ATM, the shift cables were frozen. I parked it and got out the Trek. I rode it a mile to the shop. The Mitsu fired right up, but the friction drive didn't work worth a darn. I suspect that the City Slicks aren't very sticky when frozen (and I've worn the roller so smooth I could use it as a shaving mirror, were I so inclined). By the time I got to the shop, my fingers didn't work any better than the friction drive, so I just came back home.

13. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Augi called.... He said he was at Deanna's having a "power outtage party".
    Marguritas!!!!

he said there was quite a wind storm.

"tailwinds rock"!!!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  14. Dug3x3

Dug3x3 Guest

Been chilly here too! Been in the 20's last few days . Todays actually warmin up to 30 so it can snow tonight. Suppose to get a decent jag of snow the next couple of days. Between 12" -20" .
    On another subject i have been checking out the bikes recommended to me for a two wheel drive setup (cannondale, trek). Those babys are kinda spendy , for a redneck. I found a mongoose today on craiglist here in Maine. Its a mtn bike with full suspension its $60. thats more my type of bling. IS a Mongoose decent or are they a throw away ? thanks doug

15. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

It's supposed to get cooler for the next couple of days. Tomorrow is predicted at a high around 8, with 35 mph wind, gusts to 50 (I don't know what that comes to figuring wind chill).

Cold is when it gets down around -30.

16. snow snow snow

well we got plenty of snow up here in sudbury ontario canada and it's finally
    stopped after four days and during that time period we ended up getting at
    lest 12 to 15 inches of snow fall and it has been a blast to ride in.Just have
    to change the driving habits a bit. If you want your gears to shift and your brake cable's to operate properly lube them up with WD-40 and all your cables should operate fine also luburcate your chain and derailiurres,[hoped i
    spelled that ok.],and it should shift ok and also adjust your brakes [if they
    are side pull that is.]and they should operate fine. As for the mongoose bike
    they are o.k. bikes to ride.:cool::rolleyes:

17. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Yesterday they had watersouts on the water about halfway between me and Denny (he's about 80 miles south). I guess one lasted for about 5 minutes, and reached from the ocean up at least to the cloud cover (3,500'). That would have been cool to see. This morning when I got up it was -6 (f) outside. I left the bikes at home. The subaru barely started, so I took it to the shop and put Mobil One in it. In the past, I've experimented with letting various kinds of oil sit outside for a few days at -30. Mobil One is the only one I've found that doesn't start flowing like honey. I'm testing some other synthetics right now (though it's not Really Cold). Not all synthetics are created equal.

18. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Van

We had a waterspout on the channel too. Not that big....maybe 1/4 mile or less at the base, but it enveloped the bridge between Douglas and Juneau. Just guessing maybe 500 feet tall. Quite a feeling to see the thing coming at us across the water and then surround us on the bridge. Instant salt spray on the car. Not a good time for a bike/ :grin:

I had a job that required a generator and gas drive welder at about -20 several years back. I too found Mobil 1 to be about the best for flow and starting at those temps. Course that was 10 years ago. Things may have improved since then. Also used Amsoil in Wisconsin. That worked well too, but I couldn't find a dealer.

Keep warm. ;)

Denny

19. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

check this out....right now, in southeast kansas

temp-- 27f
    Rain, sleet, lightning & thunder!!!

Attached Files:

20. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

That'll mess traffic up a bit.