Flashlight Bomb Warning For All Phoenix Area Members!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by loquin, May 15, 2012.

1. loquin

loquin Active Member

HEAD UP!

So far, it's only happened in Glendale, AZ, but someone is putting bombs inside the big, yellow 6V flashlights, and leaving them where people will find them. There have been two incidents reported so far; so, thankfully, no serious injuries, but the devices have detonated. IF you find ANY flashlight that you don't recognize, (and, on our bikes, we would probably be more likely to see something ... interesting than someone in a car would,) DON'T TOUCH IT - CALL 911.

The safety department at work forwarded the info below to us:

I've attached the photo and the PDF file we received from the authorities.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2012

2. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Holy heck, that's criminal and utterly irresponsible.

What if a small child decided to pick up the flash light - they could be seriously injured or permanently damaged for life.

What kind of deranged person would even think of such activity.
  3. loquin

loquin Active Member

The fact that one bomb, let alone multiple bombs were made, and left for people to find, is clear proof that it was an intentional act. Which would be assault with a deadly weapon at a minimum, even without the terrorist implications of the act.

As for who would do such a thing, a psychopath/sociopath, and/or a terrorist are the only 'people' I can think of.

The reason I posted this was, as I mentioned above, the fact that we go tooling by so slowly (relative to Cars) that we likely see more as we travel. At least, I do. This could make us more susceptible to finding one of these things, if there are any more out there.

FYI - I passed this info along to the other site; as it goes way beyond any kind of potential rivalry there may be. I hope they will see fit to post it there, too.
  4. 2stroker

2stroker Banned

Thats messed up. Whats wrong with people now days. So what they turn the light on and it blows up. Can i send one to my x? lol:devilish:
  5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I completely agree with your notion Lou: as motor bicyclists we do in fact go tooling by so slowly (relative to Cars) that we likely see more as we travel.

As for myself, i've often stopped to have a look at an interesting item on the side of the road or walkway that's happened to catch my eye; certainly making me more susceptible to finding one of these things, if there are any more out there.

Fortunately this sort of thing doesn't seem to happen in Australia but if it's picked up and publicised by our media, i'm sure there will be copy-cat crimes down here; that's a terribly frighting scenario.
  6. loquin

loquin Active Member

Here's a news report with a little more information. Turns out they were leaving the bombs near construction sites, and there's been a total of three people injured so far.

And another. Turns out they had BBs inside for shrapnel.

If the guy is ever caught, they should strap one to his stomach. Yeah, I know it'll never happen. But, these are the kinds of cases that make you feel that way.
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
  7. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

I agree with you 100% there, Lou. Carp like this makes me want to go :rambo: on the person behind it.

The unfortunate thing is now there will likely be copycat crimes. I'd say that we all should keep an eye out for these, even if you're not in or around Phoenix.
  8. choppermke

choppermke Member

i love phoenix but hate this ****. it reminds me of dale housner and the baseline killer. i was living at 25th st and osborne when they were killing people. i was walking home down weldon from a buddies house and heard one of housners shots that killed someone on indian school. just goes to show the good of packing heat adn protecting yourself
  9. choppermke

choppermke Member

sorry i didnt know c r ap was bad word on here
  10. loquin

loquin Active Member

BTW, in the last few weeks, another one exploded at a Salvation Army center. And there were two false alarms. People have become aware of what was going on, and have begun to call police when they see one of the flashlights.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  11. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

In the 40+ years I have lived in the metro Phoenix area things sure have changed.
    When I was a teen things were really laid back. I could ride my dirt bike in the desert, 4-wheel up the hills, throw big keger parties in the desert, and if a cop caught you under age with beer he'd make you poor it out and then let you go.

It's gotten really anal retentive since we grew to be the 7th largest city in the US but that has nothing to do with flashlight bombs.

I figure a couple of bored teens with too much time and unsupervised Internet access wanted to blow something up and used what they had.
    Thankfully the police didn't release details of the contents but they didn't make a big boom so not even an M80 size fire cracker explosive.

I'd be willing to bet they took video of them going off to.
    If that's the case and put it on the net they get caught but noting about this story for months now so I'm not too worried.
  12. loquin

loquin Active Member

From what I gather, there was plenty of oomph to do the trick, but the device design wasn't up to snuff.
  13. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

I take it they never figured out who it was and there haven't been any more?
  14. Chooko

Chooko New Member

I hope that they get caught and charged.....hopefully one day they will leave a partial print or some sort of clue...idiots!!!!
  15. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Wow. i can't tell you how many times I picked up an abandoned flashlight while doing DOT work on the highways in AZ.
  16. chad

chad Member

I have been noticing that the people who do these things, often go into court and plead insanity.

Or they make a deal were they plead guilty, and get life in prison, so they dont get the death penalty.

I think if you are smart enough to build a bomb, you should not be able to plead insanity

It seems many people that plead insanity, are well spoken and educated. Only retarded people should be able to plead insanity. If you are able to do things like purchase a gun in a store, without the seller knowing your retarded, I say you cant plead insanity.

I think these criminals may know, they wont get capital punishment.

Many people that are against capital punishment, are against it b/c innocent people often get executed. But most of these innocent people are poor and cant afford lawyers.

I guess my point is, when some one goes into a movie theater and starts shooting, or puts out bombs to kill innocent people. There should be a public government team to investigate them, and if they are 1,000% sure that person is guilty, they should give them capital punishment.

Or keep them in a dark cold 9x9 cell, with no tv or talking to people.

After these people do these things, they plead insanity or make a deal. Then they are watching TV in prison and playing chess F. THAT.

I dont think they should be able to plead insane, and then go watch TV and play chess.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012