Flooded 35cc Subaru?

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by billtheeviltwin, Jun 11, 2008.

1. billtheeviltwin

billtheeviltwin New Member

When I first mounted my new 35cc Subaru to my bike frame, the engine was tilted away from the bike because of the way the bike frame was shaped. It worked great except I ran out of gas after 4 miles. I surmised that because the engine was tilted, it wasn't getting gas from the gas line in the tank. So, I put in .25 of gas and drove home. I then was able make the frame straight up and down. Problem solved.

So, I wasn't able to ride it for 2 days. In that 2 days, I left the On/Off switch on. When I rode it this morning. It would sputter after 1 block. I looked at the priming bulb and it was completely full of gas. I didn't have time to mess with it so I drove to work. I am guessing it is flooded. How do I un-flood it?

2. billtheeviltwin

Nevermind. I came home after work and some of the gas was gone from the bulb. I started it up and slowly drive around and then was eventually able to ride at full speed without it dying. I guess I should have just kept riding it. Oh well, I'm a newbie. I have to say. This is one fun ride.:eek:

3. astring

astring Member

is this a golden eagle kit?

4. billtheeviltwin

5. astring

astring Member

I ordered one of those (it is taking a looooooong timeto arrive). i will be careful of this.thanks for the tip

6. billtheeviltwin

Well, today I came to work on the bike and it was sluuuuuuuggggish all the way. It quit about 7 or 8 times. It still has that bubble full of gas. I am guessing I am going to have to take the carb off to fix this problem.

7. billtheeviltwin

Ok. I got it fixed. I pulled both lines to the gas tank. Ran the engine til it quit and re-hooked up the lines. When I ran it over lunch, it ran like a champ.

8. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

I also have the Subaru 35cc -- I am noticing that my air filter is getting wet (with gas) -- are you having any problem with this ? Happy Riding from - Mountainman

9. billtheeviltwin

No. My filter is not getting soaked with gas, but I did notice that it was had a little oil on it. Otherwise, it runs awesome.

10. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

billtheeviltwin -- how many miles would you say you have on your Subaru ? I have prox 500 miles. Went to buy a new plug yesterday -- there is a new thread - Hot Plug Hole In Piston. I have a slight miss (loss of power) going on -- next going to pull the two hoses to gas tank you mention. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

11. billtheeviltwin

Mine has about 250 miles on it. I don't have any loss of power. I have cleaned the spark plug for the routine maintenance and haven't had any problems. I did see in the manual if one of the fuel lines is leaking to replace the line. Maybe that is your problem. Just guessing. By the way, how many mpgs do you get. I get about 125 mpg, but I do weigh about 215 and have to climb about 5 steady inclines on the way to work.

12. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

check your gas cap to make shure its venting!

13. psmcd

psmcd Member

restrictive air filter

I'm riding a new RS 35cc at about 5,000ft altitude and pulling a lot of hills. Engine at idle it was missing a bit and I figured it might be running rich. No air screw on the carb so I looked at the air cleaner and found a thick paper element beneath the foam element. I took it out and idle is cleaner and engine slightly more responsive through range.

I also noticed a little darkening of the oil which may have been excess gas contaminating the oil. This may relate to problems others describe with filter getting wet but this was not the case with mine - dry and no smell of gas.

I wouldn't recommend removing the paper element in dusty conditions, the foam element is coarse and thin. I might try a little oil on it for added protection or find a bit finer foam element.