Carby flooded carb?

J

Jimbo

I got my bike together but haven't actually gotten it to start (it makes one engine noise, or several if I'm going fast).

I noticed my carb was leaking fuel, so maybe it got flooded. Then again, maybe its an electrical problem and the fuel is just because I've failed to start it so many times. Or maybe i didnt put it together correctly.

Questions are: what tricks do you guys have for starting the motor, and if my carb is flooded, how do I fix that without spilling fuel everywhere?

Engine starting.....

You need two basic things fuel and ignition...... It seems that you have fuel now the next thing is to check for ignition(spark)...... What I do is remove the spark plug end rest it on top of the cylinder head making sure you have good electrical contact from the plug body to the cylinder head... Now with your clutch engauged push your bike at a brisk walking pace and this will turn the engin over fast enough to generate a spark at the sparkplug gap...( better doing this in the shade or in the evening)If no spark check for the following.... white wire from the engine to the kill switch, black wire to the black wire in the cdi box and blue wire to the to the blue wire of the cdi box...... The kill switch push button is of poor design and I would disconnect it from the white wire for testing, make sure the white wire is not touching the bike frame and look for spark again, I suspect you problem may be in this kill switch as I had to modify my unit and upgrade the wire size....
Regards Al

i thought i had the same problem- gas pourng out of the carb. turns out that i had a bad fuel valve at the tank. the fuel ran down the outside and all over the carb and engine.
also, you may want to check the needle and what-not that the throttle hooks to. i unscrewed the big part on top and gently twisted the throttle to make sure it was all moving properly. i guess it would allow the fuel to accumulate if it was stuck open.
do check the ignition as well- that could be the only reason it isn't starting.

I did have my fuel valve not turned all the way, and fuel leaked as a result. Perhaps thats what I'm seeing. Then again, I did try twisting the throttle to see if that would help start it.

If I DO manage to get the bike to start without a kill switch (if thats the issue), How long does it take for it to stop it by twisting the fuel line to closed?

i just applied the brakes fully and then popped the clutch. THIS IS NOT A GOOD WAY TO KILL IT!
i forgot to turn on the fuel valve on the other day and i drove for about five minutes.

ok I think I may have found the problem - the black doohickey that sticks out of the spark plug wasn't in it. The problem is (arghghg) my frame is too small so I cant put the cap on the spark plug at the same time now. Gonna have to wait and see if my neighbor has a saw so I can cut down the black cap that goes over the spark plug in order to make it fit... I'll get back to you when I finally get this to work.

If you need more room for your spark plug, try a champion CJ7Y.
much shorter. also, I always replace the standard spark plug boot with 1 of the automobile type.

I'm having similar troubles I think - fuel leaking out the sides of the carb and sputtering. I only let enough fuel in to fill the tube and then it runs until the fuel runs out and I fill the tube again. it's annoying and I really think I need another carb, but someone mentioned that I should just keep tighterning the mix screw (with spring) on the side until it is only sipping the fuel, but I don't think that would stop the flow.

so how long should the spark plugs last anyways? I have to replace mine and it's only gone maybe 60 or 80 miles...

Back