Flooded out in Bundaberg, Queensland, Aust.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by reddbak, Jan 7, 2011.

1. reddbak

reddbak Guest

Last Tuesday we were inundated by flood-waters here in Bundaberg South. Part one was an unfortunate freak of nature with a King-Tide of 4metres in our city's river the Burnett, meeting an extremely heavy Monsoonal rain trough. This saw water up to the floorboards of our 1950's era corner store. Part 2 was the city's inadequate storm-water drainage system not allowing the waters to recede into the bay and then a sewerage cap popped when the coastal pump stations went under water.

We were very fortunate, having enough time to load up the ute with pets, personal items, clothing, and our queen size bedding and frame on top in first load. Came back with my wife, son and friends to loadup the Mig welder, most of my power tools, fridge and freezer etc.

House is to be demolished s water was 1.7m/5 feet from ground level and a lot of foundation soil is washed out exposing the stumps. Walls and floorboards are buckled/warped. We are fully insured against all flood-waters and have contents as well. The Westpac Bank has been very efficient and quick to advance us $5k for contents funding.

The motored bikes are okay and will need a full strip-down and clean-out, I suspect. Table-saw, router kit, drill-press, chainsaw, mower, brushcutter, etc all went under. Main thing is the wife and I, and the Fur-kids are safe and healthy. We're living in the workshop now ad will be for around a year, but home is where you lay yer hat we reckon.

Insurance offered us rental accomodation which they would re-imburse us. But I can see the hassles with that arrangement as we'd be making mortgage and rent payments up front.

Cheers all.

Attached Files:

2. Bobbyoutback

Bobbyoutback Member

What a nightmare , just hope all turns out Ok in the end .

Is the Govt going to give you a cash grant or have they blown it all on handouts to Indonesia .

Take Care
    Bobby.

3. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Oh Wow! This is terrible news! I hope that everything will work out for the best when you finally get things back in order.
    I really hope that you can keep your spirits up throughout this horrible ordeal.
    All of your electric tools, IE: table saw, router kit, drill press should be fine if you can dry them out (compressed air) and prevent rust on the steel parts. Re-grease any open, non sealed bearings. They are quite durable and you would be suprised what they can endure. As for the gas powered tools, RIP.

4. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Man that sucks. Glad you and your loved ones are OK. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Glad that you and yours are safe and well. Possessions can be replaced/refurbished/repaired, but lives cannot.

I've never had to deal with flooding (well, 4 ft of water in a basement once thanks to the fire dept putting out the fire in the 2nd story), and hope I never shall. I hope the insurance company and the bank continue to work with you and getting a new house built goes smoothly.

6. cargo-master

cargo-master Member

Redbak, Glad to know that you, your wife, & fur-kids are safe. My thoughts are with you. --- c/m

7. Bobbyoutback

Bobbyoutback Member

What do the prayers do Pablo ? :thinking:

Not having a go at you , just asking whats the use after the fact ?

Cheers Bobby.

8. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Just my way of saying smooth sailing through choppy waters. No worries.

9. reddbak

reddbak Guest

Geez...thanks for the comments and well-wishes.

I'm not religious by any stretch of one's imagination, pablo, but I know what yer saying.

Most of the power tools that went under still work and there's two outlets here stock a variety of powertool bearings. i can claim them, but it isn't my style to rip even the insurance corp off. Not whe they've been so quick to help.

The govt relief mob just granted us $1k which should be accessible tomorrow. A lot of our dilemma is on Facebook and I'll add the link or whatever to my profile. Oh I might go advanced and see if I can whack it in there.

Two night's ago we nearly got flooded in the workshop also. ****ed scary ****e I tells yer. Didn't evac, decided to build a water barrier and stick it out. Bugger Mutha Nature' eh.

Images are of our new dwelling, being what was the workshop. Is wired and plumbed like a granny flat. We're fortunate to have been prolific campers in the Aussie bush and are adapting to our new way of life. We've actually been so broke in our early times, and I refused to go on welfare, that we raised two children safely in camp for 8 months. But 12 months is a long time.

Facebook, mainly in notes which should open to all without being a friend etc.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=mynotes

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011
  10. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Don't know if it works there, but here you can usually cut a deal to buy back the tools and such from the insurance company at "salvage" rates - I got $8K worth of waterlogged stereo equipment from the insurance company for $28, after they paid me for its actual value. Disassembled carefully, dried and cleaned, I salvaged it all except an 18 inch subwoofer speaker, which was toast.

11. reddbak

reddbak Guest

That's an interesting concept, I'll look into it. Thanks. I had a nice set of fold-backs from the band days, which were destroyed by furniture floating around the place.

12. reddbak

reddbak Guest

With Westpac Bank insurance we can keep damaged items that we claim as lost and do what we wish with them. Replacement must be of equal quality and brand if possible.