Florida law for "mopeds"- do cops enforce it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12676
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12676

Florida law RS-68 states that motorized bicycles
1. need to be no more than 50cc
2. have same lighting as a moped
3. travel at no more than 30mph
4. be registered (which requires showing the original bills of sale for the bicycle and the engine, and they need to be in the applicants name)
5. be inspected
6. not have a shift kit

The operator of said “moped”
7. needs a drivers license for a moped
8. is required to follow the rules of the road and safety equipment requirements of sections 316.208, 316.2085 and 316.211, Florida Statutes.

I've heard from a few Florida riders that as long as you don't ride recklessly that cops leave you alone.
I would like to hear more stories and know which of the above listed 8 requirements you are meeting.

I saw a video very recently of people riding motorized bikes in Florida, the group drove by an officers car and only seemed to make an attempt to stay under the speed limit while in range of the officer.

I think it was miami or something.

I know they sell booze around the clock in Florida walmarts so I don't remember all that much about the state or the trip to Disney, got pictures though so it must of happened.

This is the Florida registration procedure I am waiting for an inspection time if bike passes it can be registered and a plate will be issued
allowing to legally drive on the road

I, owner/applicant hereby certifies that the bicycle converted to a moped conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards related to lights, safety and other equipment contained
49, Code of Federal Regulations and in compliance with Chapter 316 Florida Statutes.

In addition to the above, I hereby affirm that the motorized bicycle converted to a moped meets the

definition in Section 320.01 (27) by submitting an Affidavit for Inspection of a Motorized Bicycle

Converted to a Moped (DHSMV RS 68 - Exhibit A) attached and complies with the installed and

operational conversion requirements to meet 316 Florida Statutes, including but not limited to the

following:

• 1 Headlamp (minimum)

• 1 Stop lamp (minimum)

• 1 Tail Lamp (minimum)

• Reflex Reflectors: (3 ) Red and ( 2) Amber ( 1 red in the rear maybe combined with tail

lamp/stop lamp) (2 red on side to the rear) (2 amber on side to the front)

• 1 Registration (tag) Lamp illuminating the tag for 50 feet

• 1 Horn: audible for 200 feet

• 1 Rearview Mirror

• Brake activation can be combined or separate; wheel must have a separate brake.

(Please note: The stop lamp must come on when either brake is applied.)

• Twist-grip or thumb activated throttle

• When issued, tag must be permanently mounted (secured with nuts and bolts thru fender, etc.)

UNDER PENALTIES OF PERJURY, I (applicant/owner) DECLARE THAT I HAVE READ THE FOREGOING

DOCUMENT/s AND THAT THE FACTS STATED IN IT ARE TRUE. Further, I agree to defend the title

against all claims.

also needed
_$40.00 application fee, cash, check/ Money order made payable to OMS

_ Original Salvage rebuild able title,
Bill of Sale
Pictures of all sides & interior of wrecked vehicle
Original Receipts/or Bill of Sale for all major component parts (Al/ original receipts must have
name of seller and must have your name on them as well as the VIN# on used parts)
Original Application for certificate of Title (HSMV 82040), 2 pages
Original Statement of Builder (HSMV 84490), 2 to 3 pages
Copy of Insurance card
Copy of Florida Drivers License or Florida ID Card
Copy of License plate and registration if transferring Proof that all recalls have been done
• Please make copies for your own records before mailing originals to: BOS

I'm in south Florida. Palm Beach County but drive in Broward county too. They have more to worry about than a motorized bicycle. Most cops actually dont even look at me twice. I drive on the sidewalk when bike lane is too narrow. I have lights. Even a neon blue glow under for night.
Sure. Maybe a DL is required. But mine is a 49cc. And like I said. I'm not acting like a fool either. LoL

I'm in south Florida. Palm Beach County but drive in Broward county too. They have more to worry about than a motorized bicycle. Most cops actually dont even look at me twice. I drive on the sidewalk when bike lane is too narrow. I have lights. Even a neon blue glow under for night.
Sure. Maybe a DL is required. But mine is a 49cc. And like I said. I'm not acting like a fool either. LoL

same exact situation in NY. I have no drivers license,..gas MB's are illegal as hell,...but cops never bothered me. ever. but that's NOT saying that one will never get an unlicensed operator ticket here. the threat is VERY real. its illegal in NY. license or no license.

at least in florida you can ride one with adequate paperwork and hardware.

but since my license is gone forever nationwide, when I move to florida this may,...my gas MB isn't coming with me. it's just not worth the possible consequences when i can: pedal a normal bicycle, or,....get/build an electric one.

im never ever going to see the inside of a jail again in this lifetime.

Electric is getting better and cheaper all the time. Sorry about having to lose your gas bike. I can't imagine how that must feel. Once you get an electric i have a feeling you'll feel a familiar grin coming back to your face.

yeah man. I already owned one. had to try it. 12v250w hubmotor. a lot slower, but so stealthy. I used to lock it up right in front of the police station. never a peep. --and they knew exactly what it was.

its sold off and gone now, but now,...I know in my mind exactly what I do and do NOT want on my next one. I think luna cycle's pre builts are insanely overpriced. but they DO look fast. im going to Daytona,...and in Orlando, which is basically next door to Daytona,..they rent electric bike-share bikes. which, hopefully,.. if they have them in Daytona,....would take care of everything for the short-term.

does anybody here know if Daytona has them too? theyre these ugly neon green girl's frame 26" rear hub motor kind on racks of like,..6-12 bikes per rack

Back