Florida Laws

Here is the response I got.. LOL

The Department does not intend to seek an AG opinion on this issue.* The current statute is very clear in this regard.* The only motorized bicycle recognized is that in 316.003(2) F.S., which is limited to an electric helper motor.* If you want gas powered bicycles to also fall within that definition, you need to contact your local Legislator to see about having the statute amended.* Until that happens, both you and this Department are governed by what the statute now states.
Judson M. Chapman
Sr. Asst. Gen. Counsel
Fl. DHSMV
850-617-3101
617-5112 fax

AIN'T THAT A BlTCH!!

What do you think I should should send as a reply?

At this time I have no way to get the paper in my computer....call me and give me your address and I will mail you a copy of the order.....Doug Holmes 850-215-5212--or post your mailing address.

Not a good idea to put your phone number in an open forum..
So you have a cell that you can take a pic with and then upload it to photobucket?

There is no straight answer in just about every state and there's a very good reason for that, it's so people don't try to pretend their 60mph motorcycle with pedals attached to it is still considered a bicycle. It's also so irresponsible people don't ride at speed on sidewalks and generally anywhere a motorbike shouldn't be in the first place.

Ride responsibly and you won't get bothered. Ride like a hipster ******bag and it doesn't matter what you're riding, you're gonna get cited and harassed by the authorities.

It also depends on what the ride looks like..

If it looks like a bicycle with a little weed whacker motor on it, you generally won't get bothered..

It's the ones that look like chopper moped/motorcycles and scooters, that really draw the attention of Leo.. Not to mention the ones that ride like idiots and on sidewalks at 20mph.

I also have the Paula Paxton case in front of me and the lawyer is right about it not saying its a gas motor. However, I also have Case # 11-2291CTMA, defendant is a Donald Burgis, Its also a NO INO filing from the same States Attorney, and this order plainly states the the defendant was driving a moped that was 49cc. A valid Florida Drivers license is not required to operate this type of transportation.

Mopeds DO require a license.. No matter what size the engine... That's not what's in contention...

We are NOT technically riding mopeds..

Does the paper you have say gas and bicycle or moped?

Last edited:
It also depends on what the ride looks like..
...It's the ones that look like chopper moped/motorcycles and scooters, that really draw the attention of Leo..
That's why the "ones" get tags as Mopeds.

Mopeds DO require a license.. No matter what size the engine... That's not what's in contention...

We are NOT technically riding mopeds..

Does the paper you have say gas and bicycle or moped?
Bull! 49 cc is the limit for mopeds

OK guys. Here is what happened to me when I went to court. The cop lied said I was doing 32 in a 35. The law states under 20. I got screwed! Had to take a plea or do 60. From what I'm guessing it depends on WHERE in Florida you do your riding. Until the law makers get there **** together, we will NEVER know what the law is. All it takes is one idiot cop to ruin your day.

Cop can SAY whatever he wants, I would think he would have to PROVE it..
Too late now, I suppose...
I'm guessing you didn't have a lawyer?!?
A lawyers first question would be, what probable cause did the officer have to pull you over? Even according to his "lie", you weren't breaking the speed limit..
(How fast were you really going?)...

Back