Florida Laws

I had a public defender. He was some help. I'm guessing I was only going around 25, but still. The cop said he pulled me over for no plate. I was on the road, the bike path is way too bumpy. At any rate, I picked up a 250 watt electric kit and it seems to work fine. I can only go around 20 miles before it needs a charge. That's the only problem with it. Be safe!

I didnt call this particular sheriffs office, but the following link is under "Whats New".

http://www.stluciesheriff.com/pdf/Bike_Motorcycle_Reqs.pdf

Assuming this is recent and correct, (and we ALL know its not right to assume):
A. REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED
B. A VALID DL IS REQUIRED
C. YOU CAN LEGALLY RIDE ON PUBLIC ROADWAYS!

Any FL MBer want to call this Sheriffs Dept. to see when this was published?
(Be sure to get their name and title, and preferrably get all of the above confirmed by written response, email or snail mail for the benefit of the MB Community)

I look forward to the forums comments.

P.S. Oh yeah, almost forgot...

Ride That Thing!!!

:)

Last edited:
??????

This is in direct violation of : Fl dept of HSMV--procedure TL-10, exhibit F, item 3.

Mopeds DO require a license.. No matter what size the engine... That's not what's in contention...

We are NOT technically riding mopeds..

Does the paper you have say gas and bicycle or moped?

HA HA HA Well as I have been saying for over a year we fall under the same regulations as MOPEDS at least according to this Sheriff What do you do next? Get your butt down to the DMV and register the thing as a moped. If you read the asterisk at the bottom it says a number of things can't be registered it does not say bicycles with motors. I feel so vindicated. And if I were you I would be heading to St Lucie County DMV and Bring the Chart Now of course KillerMab will have to chime in and tell the Sheriff he is wrong LOL Made my Day!

I contacted the Bay Co. Fl. Tax Collector's office and was told that a motorized bicycle DOES NOT require registration...and it's treated as a bicycle even after the engine kit is added...In fact that office gave me the Procedure TL-10 I referred to. They said this procedure was amended and published as of April 2011

I contacted the Bay Co. Fl. Tax Collector's office and was told that a motorized bicycle DOES NOT require registration...and it's treated as a bicycle even after the engine kit is added...In fact that office gave me the Procedure TL-10 I referred to. They said this procedure was amended and published as of April 2011

Registration is the only way that you can legally ride on public roads, as a MOPED.

Last edited:

This? From 4/20/2011 http://www3.flhsmv.gov/dmv/Proc/TL/TL-10.PDF Seems to me the tax collector is wrong.....
The definition of bicycle under s. 316.003(2), F.S., includes
motorized bicycles. Bicycles are not registered or titled. Engine
kits for bicycles are not new and there are a variety of kits
available, however, they remain bicycles after the engine kit is
installed. There are other requirements that must be met to be
classified as a motorcycle/scooter/moped such as frame assembly
and safety features. If a customer brings in paperwork for a
bicycle, they cannot be legally issued a title or registration nor is it
required. The agent should also direct the customer to law
enforcement if there are any questions as to where the motorized
bicycle can be used.
TL-10
And as I have said a million times before you need to register it as a moped not a motorized bike. The Sheriff is saying the same thing.
and furthermore Mopeds do not have titles.

Last edited:
HA HA HA Well as I have been saying for over a year we fall under the same regulations as MOPEDS at least according to this Sheriff What do you do next? Get your butt down to the DMV and register the thing as a moped. If you read the asterisk at the bottom it says a number of things can't be registered it does not say bicycles with motors. I feel so vindicated. And if I were you I would be heading to St Lucie County DMV and Bring the Chart Now of course KillerMab will have to chime in and tell the Sheriff he is wrong LOL Made my Day!

Hey Gene,

As i've said b4, I too have registered my gas motor bicycle as a moped, been so for about 2 years. I'm just trying to clarify things for those who dont have a tag and are worried about the legal issues.

But of course, Florida Law is still vague about this subject.

St. Lucie County Sheriffs Dept Pamphlet... NO, NO, NO... TL-10 April 2011...

Say hay children... what does it all mean? :) lol!

:)

Back