Florida Motorcycle Laws and Definitions

The Florida Attorney General has made statements along these lines also,citing laws passed by the Legislature,that supposedly regulated mopeds as bicycles.I guess he was addressing licencing or registration issues,not the definitional aspects.Confusion galore it seems.Anyway I live in Virginia,there localities can make up their own rules,not necessarily any better if you go on long trips.
I had no idea,starting this thread that things would turn out to be so messy,hopefully it will be of some small help to Floridians,confusion in government can be actually be blessing if the right agencies (DMV) are on your side!Case closed, as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can say is,
I have tried to be regulated. I have tried to register.
They said there was no need.

So sayeth the Florida DMV.

Pedal On...!!!
(with the the throttle twisted back a bit) =-]'

'BrettMavriK

Just out of curiousity, do you have a valid FL driver's license?

FYI I'm not really arguing.. I just want to make absolute sure of the law before I do something.. The LAST thing I need right now is to add a 49 cc motor to my bike and then get pulled over and have the law say that I'm riding with a revoked license and thus adding MORE time (and money) on my revoked license.

Last edited:
I have a Class A license with HAZMAT and Air Brakes, along with a Passenger Endorsement.
There is nothing I can't drive on the road.

That is the loophole grey area that is very arguable...

It's a BICYCLE, remember? The DMV told me so.
BUT
I believe the definition of MOPED describes my bike to a JUDGE.
BUT
They won't issue me a license plate because it isn't required because it's
STILL A BICYCLE AND NOT A MOTOR VEHICLE.
BUT
SO IS A MOTOR VEHICLE OR NOT???

If it isn't, then I don't need a valid class E license to ride it.
If it IS....then I do.......and if so.............

Then Give Me My G@% D@## MOPED PLATE!!!!!!!!!!

'BrettMavrik

**** Class A with HAZMAT? LOL
That's why you're not worried, you can drive pretty much anything. For ME though, I have to be careful, because my license is suspended.

The Florida Attorney General has made statements along these lines also,citing laws passed by the Legislature,that supposedly regulated mopeds as bicycles.I guess he was addressing licencing or registration issues,not the definitional aspects.Confusion galore it seems.Anyway I live in Virginia,there localities can make up their own rules,not necessarily any better if you go on long trips.
I had no idea,starting this thread that things would turn out to be so messy,hopefully it will be of some small help to Floridians,confusion in government can be actually be blessing if the right agencies (DMV) are on your side!Case closed, as far as I am concerned.

Well, tomorrow, I'm going to the DMV and TRYING to get TWO things.
1.) A motorcycle only license
2.) Register my bicycle with a 49cc engine as a moped. (Which it doesn't have yet, but they don't know that.)

I'll give you an update as to what happens.

2.) Register my bicycle with a 49cc engine as a moped. (Which it doesn't have yet, but they don't know that.)

Yeah..... Draw some unnecessary attention to 'OUR' bikes.
:confused:

Is there a reason you do NOT have a Driver's License ? *edit.... sorry, that's really none of my business.

Some states will issue a DL restricted to Moped Use only, for people with suspended license & habitual offenders.

Last edited:

Yeah..... Draw some unnecessary attention to 'OUR' bikes.
:confused:

Is there a reason you do NOT have a Driver's License ?

It's actually none of your business as to WHY.
And I'm trying to get the law to tell me one way or the other. Just because YOU (or anyone else) doesn't want the law to be defined, doesn't stop me from trying to see what I can get away with.
And if you REALLY want the law to state that a Bicycle with a 49cc engine is still a bicycle, then you should contact your local and state officials with correspondence stating so.

You will have wasted your time on both accounts.

'BrettMavriK

You will have wasted your time on both accounts.

'BrettMavriK
I've looked everywhere I could think of for anything on a "Motorcycle Only" license... DO you know somewhere where it states that You need a Driver's License (Class E) to get a Motorcycle ONLY DL?

If your driving privileges are suspended,
you can't get a license to drive anything.

'BrettMavriK

I've looked everywhere I could think of for anything on a "Motorcycle Only" license... DO you know somewhere where it states that You need a Driver's License (Class E) to get a Motorcycle ONLY DL?

Back