Florida Motorcycle Laws and Definitions

If your driving privileges are suspended,
you can't get a license to drive anything.

'BrettMavriK

Just spent 5 hours talking to HSMV, State Legislature group, State Statute group, and a few others, including the office of the AG.

There is NO LAW stating that you can not get a Motorcycle Only DL, if you're license is suspended in another state.

HOWEVER, the HMSV computers will reject and not allow it, even though there is no legal standpoint given.

Along with that, you can not drive a Moped without at least a Class E DL. Whether it is classified as a "Motor" vehicle or not in terms of tag/registration.

So don't get a moped then if it requires a license to drive it.
There's another similar vehicle that doesn't require it.
In fact, it's not even considered a motor vehicle.
It's called......are you ready????

A (motorized) BICYCLE !!! =-]'

'BrettMavriK

Just spent 5 hours talking to HSMV, State Legislature group, State Statute group, and a few others, including the office of the AG.

There is NO LAW stating that you can not get a Motorcycle Only DL, if you're license is suspended in another state.

HOWEVER, the HMSV computers will reject and not allow it, even though there is no legal standpoint given.

Along with that, you can not drive a Moped without at least a Class E DL. Whether it is classified as a "Motor" vehicle or not in terms of tag/registration.

I have one already. It's an ELECTRIC (motorized) Bicycle... NOT a GAS moped.
(Anyone who tries to say that their gas powered bicycle is not a Moped (and does NOT have a valid Class E Drivers license) and is riding it around, is committing a crime and is trying to get away with something - and you all know who you are... "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time.")

Oh and to the guy with the push trailer.. The push trailer is considered part of the drive chain (because it is providing motion to the bicycle part and if you have TWO wheels on it, it's considered an Automobile (just because it has pedals, doesn't automatically make it a bicycle). If it had one ONE wheel, it would be considered a Moped (if you used gas).

If the trailer did not provide motion to the vehicle and was only in tow (i.e. not pushing, but being pulled BY the bicycle) THEN you would have a bicycle.
Alternatively, if the trailer has a gas motor on it, that provided electricity and that electricity was used to charge a battery that powered the electric motor, it would ALSO be considered a (motorized) Bicycle.

Last edited:
ASK the BFO Office of the DMV as I did.......
They will tell you to:
It's NOT a MOPED....IT's A Motorized Bicycle
IT WILL BE TREATED AS A BICYCLE AND NOT A MOTOR VEHICLE.

'BrettMavriK

I have one already. It's an ELECTRIC (motorized) Bicycle... NOT a GAS moped.
(Anyone who tries to say that their gas powered bicycle is not a Moped (and does NOT have a valid Class E Drivers license) and is riding it around, is committing a crime and is trying to get away with something - and you all know who you are... "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time.")

Oh and to the guy with the push trailer.. The push trailer is considered part of the drive chain (because it is providing motion to the bicycle part and if you have TWO wheels on it, it's considered an Automobile (just because it has pedals, doesn't automatically make it a bicycle). If it had one ONE wheel, it would be considered a Moped (if you used gas).

If the trailer did not provide motion to the vehicle and was only in tow (i.e. not pushing, but being pulled BY the bicycle) THEN you would have a bicycle.
Alternatively, if the trailer has a gas motor on it, that provided electricity and that electricity was used to charge a battery that powered the electric motor, it would ALSO be considered a (motorized) Bicycle.

I would deem it unwise to push these issues,you guys might be caught in the crossfire between Govt. Agencies which obviously don't see eye to eye.Lying low might be the best option as long as the cops don't start getting into the act and make life difficult,but that would be a local issue,depending on the MB density and other factors.

Wow, this is some freaky stuff! Praise the Lord!

I'm looking to get into motorized bicycling for my very first time, and I live in Florida. I've seen them in riding my area and I talked to a few nice people that have had no problems with the local police.

It seems forum threads like this, and people arguing and getting the DMV and local authorities involved due to arguing different points of view would bring much negative attention to motorized bicycles, in my humble opinion, much more negative attention than people riding fast would ever bring.

I really doubt the Police have nothing better to do than bother some old guy on a bicycle that goes fast.

I was wanting to ride around handing out Bibles and spreading the WORD of God on a Motorized bicycle, due to the great attention it would bring, but praise the Lord, if I'm going to get arrested or have a bunch of people obsessed with keeping me from riding and doing HIS works, I may have to find another way to do so. :(

I may just wait on getting a motorized bicycle now. I'll keep reading until I'm sure. I'll keep you dedicated riders in my prayers.

Last edited:
I have a home made dual powered electric trike that is way faster then the 30 mph law. I recently went to the DMV and registered it as an electric moped. I had no problems at all doing it where it was electric.

To get into the license deal, there was a article in the Gainesville sun about a guy that powered his bike with a 50cc kit. the cops said He did not have to have a tag BUT did need a valid operators license operate on Florida roads. true or not that is what the article said..

If you have your mind set to register your MB as a moped, why dont you contact Kawasaki999 and see what he had to do to register his MB as mopeds? State regulations may be different by municipality.

Last edited:
Confusion is rampant,the best thing to do is to be stealthy,don't push your luck and attract attention with fast,exotic,overpowered,noisy creations like some people have been doing.If the solons in Tallahassee prevail with their restrictive definitions, they can force the DMV to toe the line,which would be bad.Let sleeping dogs lie.If the cops don't hassle you registation may not be the smart thing to do.This is a weird State !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back