Florida Motorcycle Laws and Definitions

ASK the BFO Office of the DMV as I did.......
They will tell you to:
It's NOT a MOPED....IT's A Motorized Bicycle
IT WILL BE TREATED AS A BICYCLE AND NOT A MOTOR VEHICLE.

'BrettMavriK

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!
BUT that is in terms of TAGs/REGISTRATION and NOT for LICENSING!

Either way, it's against Florida law to operate a gas powered bicycle without a valid Drivers License. Just because you can't REGISTER it as a Moped, that does not mean it's not a Moped when it comes to LICENSING! (It doesn't matter to the poster who couldn't register it as a Moped, because he has a valid license and is allowed by law to ride it on public roads.)

Ultimately, if you ride it on public roads, without a valid license and the police take you to court, you will be charged (and convicted) of driving without a license.

In terms of law, it's the MORE STRICT of the laws that needs to be adhered to, unless specifically stated as such from the Federal Govt. (State/County/Local can make it LESS strict)

In terms of bicycles...
- Federal law says that an electrically driven bicycle is considered a "bicycle" and the laws of
bicycles apply if:
- Electrically driven bicycle has less than 750 watt motor
- Functional pedals
- Max speed is less than 20mph
- The Federal law shall supersede any State law or requirement with respect to low-speed
electric bicycles. (The state must regulate the electric bicycle as a bicycle)

Now Florida law specifically states
Definition of "Bicycle"
(Section 316.003(2), F.S.)

Every vehicle propelled solely by human power, and every motorized bicycle propelled by a combination of human power and an electric helper motor capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of not more than 20 miles per hour on level ground upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels, and including any device generally recognized as a bicycle though equipped with two front or two rear wheels. The term does not include such a vehicle with a seat height of no more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position or a scooter or a similar device. No person under the age of 16 may operate or ride upon a motorized bicycle.

(The only difference is the wattage of the motor, there is no limit on the wattage in FL's law.)

There seems to be 2 different schools of thought on this subject. (If you don't have a license)

1.) Well, it's not TECHNICALLY legal and 99% of the time I'll get away with it, and if I'm passing an officer, I'll turn off the (gas) engine and pedal, so if he sees me, he'll be thinking I'm on a bicycle. (snicker, snicker)

2.) Well, I'll follow the law and use an electric motor only on my bicycle and stay within the confines of legality.

I'm thinking of using a small one wheel trailer on the back of the bicycle and putting a gas powered generator (which has an electric socket in it) and plug in my electric charger and connect that to charge up the battery of my electric bicycle. (which should effectively double my range, or there-abouts)

Last edited by a moderator:
The only confusion I see here is people arguing over the law instead of just letting people ride and let God handle it.

And very unnecessary confusion at that!

This thread was an obvious direct attempt to hate on my trailer, as diveondyck repeatedly mentioned my two wheel trailer. He's been bulling me around this whole forum, and even going as far as sending nasty public visitor messages. Just look at my MBC profile for proof. I even reported him to a moderator. Immediately after that, he made this thread. He even incorrectly claims my trailer is loud, even though he has never heard my engine run. In fact, my engine is MUCH quieter than ANY of the two-stroke bike kits period!

Also, there's nothing wrong with beating the system. There is NO LAW AT ALL that mentions a self-propelled trailer pushing a Non-Motorized bicycle. You can't interpret the law and say the trailer is categorized as something it's not a part of, simply because you are bending the law in your defense.

I can even use a self-propelled push lawnmower to push my bicycle, and it's legal, because there is NO laws saying I'm not allowed to.

People HATE it when you do your own thing, and instead of being proud, and learning from you, they'd rather hate on you and try to bully you into doing what they want.

If the Moderators don't do something about this, I predict the FALL OF MBC.

Last edited:
From what I've read (correct my if I'm wrong), but a Pusher trailer is a Moped/Motorcyle type engine (in an enclosure) pushing against the bike to make it go faster?
If that's the case, then you're using a gas motored vehicle to push a bicycle, which in turns makes the Trailer Pusher a moped/motorcycle and hence you need the appropriate DL.

Dude, you are not even CLOSE!

The engine on a trailer is a Commercial Power Equipment engine used to power tools and pumps. Similar to a Lawnmower Engine! No where even close to a motorcycle or moped engine. It has limited RPM range in comparison, and NO transmission.

Also there is a Honda 50cc trailer here on this forum, that has NOTHING in common with a motorcycle as well.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8305&highlight=50cc+trailer

Also, the trailer is not a motorcycle or a moped, it's a TRAILER! It's used to haul stuff around that's too big for a bicycle. There is NO LAW stating that I cannot use a self-propelled TRAILER to push a NON-MOTORIZED bicycle! It's simply me BEATING THE SYSTEM, by paying LESS for GAS, and that is NOT against the law. Also the trailer is NOT a vehicle because it cannot be driven or rode on. It only works with a bicycle.

You either are LEGAL OR NOT. There is no interpretation or "technically legal".

YES, I found a blank spot in the law and proudly and LEGALLY use it! How about you get a gas trailer of your own and hook it to your electric bicycle, I'm sure you would love it!

Last edited:
My backpack with a gas engine inside and a propeller that pushes me down the road on my non-motorized rollerblades is not a motorcycle or moped either.

I'm out too.

I'm tired of this place getting full of unhappy people that want to put their misery on the other happy people that enjoy their hobby and way to have transportation in times of necessity and a failing economy.

People that push the law on others to stop them from doing something out of the box and whatever they love, are just pawns to further the New World Order, and I want no part in this mess.

Last edited:
NO..... Now you are an airplane and need a pilots license, and FAA clearance...:devilish:

That's funny! I needed the laugh, thank you.

His whole argument breaks down because of this definition..

Originally Posted by Wikipedia

Trailer (vehicle), an unpowered vehicle pulled by a powered vehicle

After everything is said and done, even IF he would say it's a trailer pushing his bicycle (and it was legal), the second he goes above 20 mph without pedaling (because he's being propelled by a motor at that point) he's no longer legally riding his bicycle.
Any lawyer for the state would put down every single one of his arguments without even breaking a sweat.

As a matter of fact, I think that's an AWESOME IDEA. This guy is trying to say anyone who doesn't agree with him, hates him. LOL Ya know what I tell people like that? Get Over Yourself! He's trying to make it personal, when it has nothing to do with anything but the law.

wikipedia said:
Trailer (vehicle), an unpowered vehicle pulled by a powered vehicle

The bicycle is powered by my legs, and it pulls the trailer. I pedal very often anyway. I know that very well because I had to pedal 15 miles the other day with it when the trailer broke down. My legs were very tired, but it makes it home, that's why I love having the bicycle. If a car breaks, you are SOL, but with the bicycle, if the engine part messes up, you can still get home, slowly, but still you get home. As far as 20mph, well, I'm taking that risk, riding slow most of the time, and being responsible. I can pedal that fast, and I can help the engine to well over and still be making additional pedal power.

I don't think sangesf hates me.

It's diveondyk that does, along with others besides myself that he hates on because his continued harassment, name calling, bulling, and spoiling of good forum threads, even repeated times telling him to leave and say something nice, or nothing at all. Even as stated by Tom, the forum rules say what not to do, and he breaks those rules.

Last edited:
Back