? for guys whove had a friction kit awhile

darwin

Local time
8:48 AM
I have my rubber roller adjusted to where when it drives the tire it depresses the tire Id say a 1/4 in. Is that about right or should it be more? Also do you put the max psi in your tire or lower? Max psi in my kenda tire is 60 and Im running it at 55. The reason Im asking is I hit a puddle of water and it slipped terribly.............anyways any input.

Ya.... water will do that. Try to avoid puddle or switch to a better drive roller that can deal with water. I saw a thread on here that had a website that sold these special ones for wet riding.

Water will make these drives slip. I would run about 45lbs in the tire & compressing the tire 1/4" seems good for mine. There are coatings you can make up, yourself , to put on the steel drive rollers that help some, but are a little rougher on the tire. Doubt that would work on a rubber roller, though.

I was thinking, if you coat your roller in plastidip (made for coating tool handles and stuff with rubber) or something similar if that would help. Try texturing the surface of the plastic/rubber a nd rough as possible for maximum friction.

Last edited:
Well i install the things for a living and I have no exact compression depth(All tires are different). I usually try to get the tire to about 5 psi under max ratings. I try and set the roller so it dig into the tire just enough to where when I try to grasp the roller with my hand(while engaged), and spin the tire and roller. If I can make the roller slip on the tire then I know I need to get more compression.

If your motor is retardedly torquey, then this method may not work for you(torque well over 3 ft. lbs). otherwise thats just my two cents.

Didn't realize it was you darwin. Lol. Try that out and it should work just fine for yas. And those urethane rollers will slip in wet conditions. DE has an allweather roller made of an aggregate stone that wont slip in anything. If it is not properly adjusted though, it can eat through a tire in a week. Kinda like nurelled steel but it will actually work in the real wet stuff, and it doesn't produce heat like steel does in dry riding conditions.

Thanks for the input. Today I tried the 11/2 roller and the difference between that 1 and the 11/4 is like night and day. I think im just going to stick with the small 1 because it doesnt bog down going up a steep hill with my weight at all and is plenty fast enough.

Back