For those of us who like vintage aircraft and WWII history...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KilroyCD, Jan 17, 2010.

1. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Hi all, this year's WWII Weekend at Mid Atlantic Air Museum in Reading PA is scheduled for June 4-6, 2010. This is the 20th annual WWII Weekend, and they are adding a Warbird Fly-In to the mix. Already they have lined up 15 P-51 Mustangs, three P-40s, two B-17s, three B-25s, a Spitfire MkXVIII, a P-38 and much, much more. There is a possibility of the CWH Lancaster attending again. Of course, the aircraft participation is dependent on weather and / or mechanical issues.
    Here's a link to the website: http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html
    Of course, I'll be there as a reenactor, splitting my time between the Homefront (where I portray a Civil Defense Air Raid Warden) and the Pacific Theatre of Operations (where I'm the RAF Liaison Officer for the Airmen's Preservation Society).

Attached Files:

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Wow... I didn't realize just how HUGE this event really is!!!

Looks like they put on USO style shows, too. ?

Isn't this one of the boats that landed the troops on the beach... D-Day?
    IMG_1886.jpg

and Bikes...lots of bikes!
    Lisznewski8.JPG

SMayhue%2008_028.JPG

WW2-WKND-2008-BENTON111.jpg

Siolek53.jpg

[​IMG]

3. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Yeah, it's big. Over 1,000 reenactors alone attend each year. The event covers quite a few acres. LOL, that last photo is from the first year I had the Columbia up and running, 2004 I believe.

4. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

LOL, you make a good Brit. The pipe is a nice touch.

Interesting stuff.....like some of the old bikes. Need moooore pics. :grin5:

Denny

5. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Thanks, I like doing the Brit impression. More pics? Here are some from last year's event. I didn't get all that many shots of bikes last year, but here are a few, plus a shot of Miss Florida (1943) visiting with me at the Air Raid Warden's Post. BTW, the red and grey bicycle in one of the photos is one I restored for a friend.

Attached Files:

6. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Here are some more shots of various bikes from past years. The red & cream '36 Elgin (with the Air Raid Warden riding) and the maroon and cream girl's JC Higgins are two of my restorations.

Attached Files:

7. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Oh man, that is some interesting rquipment. I've read about the scooter you are riding, and the transverse v twin, but never seen any before. Great stuff. I'm drooling all over my shirt. :cool2:

8. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Yes Dave
    That is a Higgins Boat (landing craft). I don't think that any actually survived Normandy though. Not much survived that landing.
    This event is something to see. We as reinactors step back into 1943 for three days. We eat and drink off period cups and bowls. The live shows, displays are memorable at the least. People like members of the Tuskegee Airmen, VMF 214 The Black Sheep Squadron, Robert Morgan pilot of the Memphis Bell (He passed away several years ago), Paul Tibbets pilot of the B29 Enola ***. He dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima (He passed away in 2007). We even had R.Lee Ermy from Mail Call on the History Channel there. The story of the CMH winner as told by the man he saved. He was wounded and the B17 was damaged badly and going down. This 19 year old waist gunner put his parachute on the wounded man and pushed him out of the burning aircraft saving his life. The 19 year old kid went down with the plane. He was awarded the CMH posthumously. I could go on and on. I have been part of this event for many many years now and look forward to this year with much anticipation. The 20th year event will be special. The black and red Huffman is one that I restored.

Attached Files:

9. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

like this one??? P-38_Can_Opener.jpg :grin5:

10. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Pretty sure he means one of these. lol

Attached Files:

• p-38.JPG
      p-38.JPG
      File size:
      46.6 KB
      Views:
  11. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

hahahaha

How about one of these?
    Walter_HP_Speerwerke_1428.jpg

:jester:

Seriously..... This all looks like a great time..... educational, too.

12. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

KilroyCD has one of them...:2guns:

13. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Not yet. I have a P-08 (Luger) and a Mauser Broomhandle (C96), but no P-38.

Attached Files:

14. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Just following this thread kind of takes one back to a time when attitudes were IMO better. Patriotism, values, just a better mindset. Even political views were based on a different point of view. Kind of comforting even.

Not to mention a whole bunch of really interesting hardware. :grin5:

15. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Machiasmort sent me a message regarding the show and in particular, the P-38 and how he has a certain affinity for the aircraft. I can understand that, as the P-38 is a beautiful art-deco styled fighter.
    I have a great affinity for the Spitfire, and I'm pleased that a beautiful Griffon-engined example of the Spit will be there at the show. Here's a photo of it from last year's show.
    [​IMG]

16. TREEWK

TREEWK Member

Like The Airplane Beer, Drink 1 And P 38