Forum trolls, sad or schizophrenic?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by grinningremlin, Jul 9, 2013.

1. grinningremlin

grinningremlin Active Member

PooPooPeeDoo brought this to my attention.I'm not new to the internet, but am somewhat to forum culture and the troll is bizarre to me.What possible gain can come from creating useless dust-ups with people you don't know?Can someone have so little to do that trolling is entertainment??Can't wrap my mind around it, and I try to be as empathetic as possible, all I come up with is I feel bad for them.

2. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

The other user you mentioned seems to be a decent member so I edited that bit out of your post. As for PooPooPeeDoo he was completely unreasonable when I reminded him of the forum rules.

3. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a simple answer to your question, grinningremlin. Trolls are certainly bizarre. And though we know that feeding them is a mistake, they're so infuriating that it's hard not to tell them that they are wrong! wrong! wrong!

Have you ever known someone who would just make up trivial stuff on the spot? I'm not talking about liars who have an actual motive, i.e.; fraud, etc. I'm talking about someone who has absolutely nothing to gain from tricking you into believing some weird story? Someone who's willing to send you on a wild goose chase when he/she has nothing to gain from it? I believe that they develop a (pitiful) sense of power from manufacturing a 'fact' and validating it by getting you to believe that it has merit.

Perhaps trolls are motivated by something similar.