four foot high and risin

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by stude13, Apr 19, 2009.

1. stude13

stude13 Active Member

i read news of alaska every day. an artical today says 26 villages are having erosion problems and need to move them to higher ground. the ocens rise is happening quickly in the far north. the question is whether the fed. should pay for the relocation. if it is done for them, what is going to happen when the coastline on the east coast becomes inundated. there are hundreds of millions of people on the Indian coast that are threatened now. is global warming the culprit? are we going to just blow it off till it too late or maybe its too late now. i'll be dead long before it happens. does that mean i should'nt care?

2. kerf

kerf Guest

The sea level rise is of great concern to me and I have been reading all pertinent information. It is precisely this situation that has encouraged me to enlarge my carbon footprint as much as possible. The idea of wearing shorts year round and Birmingham being only fifty miles from the Gulf has stimulated my desire to see it happen as soon as possible. Riding my MB down to the Birmingham coast and taking my boat out for a day of deep sea fishing, man, it doesn't get any better than that.

3. stude13

stude13 Active Member

you and i are not going to be bothered by what comes. i would like to think my grandchildren would inherit a world that we tended to as well as we do our bikes.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  4. kerf

kerf Guest

Since our grand children will have no economy, because you and I spent all they'll ever have, where the coast line is will be of little concern. At least with warmer temperatures, they won't freeze.

5. stude13

stude13 Active Member

maybe you could put your grand kids to bed tonight with that story. the end of your tale might be-because we didnt care about you or yours.

6. kerf

kerf Guest

That's a bedtime story we'll both be tell'n. Oh my goodness, the next judgment's gonna be he!!, literally. You up for it?

7. stude13

stude13 Active Member

on a sunday in 1935 a black cloud arose in our midwest that contained 300 million tons of topsoil and made its way to the atlantic ocean. it happened because no one took heed of dire warnings that farming tecniques needed to change. they did change in the coming years. dire warnings are again being raised and it might be possible to avert climate disaster. but probably not if the milinialists have their way. they profess that they aren't worried, they are assured heaven. a question raised in religolous, if they are so sure of that, why no kill yourselves now? why wait if fat lady is singing?

8. kerf

kerf Guest

Things have happened in the past and they will happen in the future, man made climate change isn't one of them. The environmental movement has nothing to do with science and everything to do with politics, Marxism to be specific. The only way for Marxism to defeat Capitalism is to convince the mases to destroy their own economy and the process is well under way. That's why it's vital to fire all incumbents in the U.S. House in 2010, thereby cutting off the head of the SNAKE.
    Stude, you can be sure that I have religious beliefs but this is political and I have no intension of leaving this world before the mission is complete.

9. seanhan

seanhan Member

Not Global Warming it's the ban on CFC's it has messed up the climate.
    The Freon and other CFC's actually protected the planet from warming.
    But since the ban things have gotten worse....
    Just ask yourself is GREEN really GREEN ?????
    Or is it just a word used to sell products and make people feel better about themselves???
    Kinda makes you wonder...

10. stude13

stude13 Active Member

that is limbaugh the scientist's schtick. i dont fall for that draft dodging doper's ideas. now peter shiff gives me much to laugh about. a true chicken little. maybe we should go out and protest the earth on wednsday. maybe we can take a bunch of tea and spread it on the dead corral reef off florida. you guys have run up the price of bullets so much im having a problem being able to keep my boo and bullet stash. imagine a world where pot is legal and ammo is banned. a war would consist of loud music and munchie contests

11. kerf

kerf Guest

12. stude13

stude13 Active Member

well im glad i called this meeting and we were able to settle the whole thing.

13. kerf

kerf Guest

In a previous post, I posted a link to Dr. Roy Spencer's web site. Please do not read his blog about the EPA, the information will scare you to death. Please consider this a warning.

14. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

The question of how to fund the moving of coastal villages is quite a conundrum. Before white guys like me came here, many (most?) of the natives had seasonal villages. Churches and trading posts changed their culture to being centered around specific locations. At the same time, the introduction of private property ownership imposes limits on where they can move.
    I'm fortunate in that the place where I live is still undergoing isostatic rebound. I think ground level has been rising a little less than 1" a year. In the 1920's, ships could sail 19 miles up the Chilkat River. Now, due to the rising ground, and silt deposits, you couldn't sail past about 1 mile (on a good tide).
    Things change. The people in some villages need to move. I say, "Give 'em a hand."

15. stude13

stude13 Active Member

hi van, is that slow and linear or did the big quake in 64 change things a lot. i know big changes took place on the kenai. i read a weird story in the fbn about the deer on kodiak isl.. boy aint the governor a pip. my heart aches to get back up north. i even missed the volcanic ash and odor. i helped reconstruct the tank farm last time it blew. how are you bud. will we see you this year. have the ferry prices dropped? call if you get time. later mitch

16. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

For the most part, slow and linear. We do have a lot of earthquakes, but they are so small that I rarely feel them. We do have an interesting gaggle of politicians up here, don't we? I think people from down south never figured out that we didn't elect her because of her record, or intelligence, or looney religious fanaticism. We elected her because we were pi**ed at the last Governor for appointing his daughter to the US Senate (and I must admit that she seems to be a bit more stable and honest than most from here). I'm doubtful that I'll make it down this year. I have soo much to do. I'm planning to be building a house this year. No budget, but I've got the property, a lot of trees, and a bit of ingenuity. I plan to start by building a shop that I can survive next winter in. Next summer I plan to get down there.

17. stude13

stude13 Active Member

are you going two sided or round. i got a kick out of putting up logs. its good hard work. i was hoping to bring a trike up this summer but but. now the owls in fairbanks are croaking in bunches. the end is near.

18. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

bottom line is
    it doesn't matter what we do in this country
    to try and be the green one's
    because other countries such as Mexico and China
    will always blow as much smoke as they wish into the sky -- so as to be making their money
    so who are we to think that we can set some kind of example to change the world ??

just like the big ((green daddy of them all)) ALL GORE
    oh yes -- what a great example he sets !!!

I say -- make money -- blow smoke

this will score points here
    the one up above knows exactly when it will all be over -- smoke or no smoke

ride that THING sideways

19. stude13

stude13 Active Member

im smokin as fas as i can.