Chain Tensioner frame engine drive chain tensioner

I rode it 20 miles today. It absolutely holds together. I took it off and rubbed off the grease from the chain and had a look see. The hole looks unworn,the gears are the same. When my son's around I'm gonna have him hold the rear wheel up while reving the engine so I can take a small video of this working,camera shooting from the pedal side so you can see how perfecly this lines up with no hopping or skipping whatsoever.
And with the sprocket running on the chain links and not resting on the sides I honestly don't see how this can wear down. And I keep it pretty tight too.
This week I'm gonna ride over to Lowes to replace that bolt,though. The gooseneck bolt has that little tang on the head and it interferes with the sprocket unless you keep it all loose. I'm gonna find the right bolt with the right lenght of smooth shaft and some washers.
I seriously don't see any way this setup can fail,and I've collected vast amount of bike parts over the years so getting these derailier sprockets is nothing.
I'll let you know if this thing ever fails,but for now it looks like my tensioners are gonna collect some dust in my tool pouch.
And what's really crazy is that most of us here does actually have an old bike laying around for parts or have a rear derailier that busted years ago and does have the right bolt and nuts and flat washers in their bolt jar and can actually replicate what I did here in ten minutes time or less even.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I went to Lowes today and got some decent hardware. I'll post pics tomorrow. So I lubed it up with chain oil and got it up there all snug chain is nice and firm.
Then I rode it about 15 miles more. I kid you not,my vibrations lessened. I actually winded it out today and reached 27 mph according to our radar sign across my street.
Funny how much confidence you get when the vibrations are down.
So here's my theory.
A conventional roller tensioner is all well and good but it relies on the chain rolling over the wheel. The chain has bumps therefore you get vibrations.
The sprocket doesn't roll on the chain body but rolls on the chain rollers therefore you end up with a tensioner as smooth as (yes,I'm saying this) as smooth as not having a tensioner at all.
This is an easy mod. Go check it out on your own.
I'll post pics tomorrow.

Okay I went to Lowes today and got some decent hardware. I'll post pics tomorrow. So I lubed it up with chain oil and got it up there all snug chain is nice and firm.
Then I rode it about 15 miles more. I kid you not,my vibrations lessened. I actually winded it out today and reached 27 mph according to our radar sign across my street.
Funny how much confidence you get when the vibrations are down.
So here's my theory.
A conventional roller tensioner is all well and good but it relies on the chain rolling over the wheel. The chain has bumps therefore you get vibrations.
The sprocket doesn't roll on the chain body but rolls on the chain rollers therefore you end up with a tensioner as smooth as (yes,I'm saying this) as smooth as not having a tensioner at all.
This is an easy mod. Go check it out on your own.
I'll post pics tomorrow.
have you got any pictures? regards bill, i'll have to go as its1.15am here, night night

Thats awesome Large. get us your pics and i'll tell ya, I will definately be doing the same in the future.
Thanks
Doc

Woah. That's insane!
Okay here's a little how to. I haven't figured out how to throw them little pics around so I'll just number them.
Pic #1:
Here's the derailier sprocket taken out of a rear derailier. There's that little screw,the two washers and that bushing. Toss all that and keep just the sprocket.
Pic #2:
Here's the hardware I got from Loews. It wasn't even a buck. I think it was like 40 cents. The only thing I failed to get was a lock washer. I fixed that by adding a third nut to the end.Notice how the bolt has that space that's not threaded. You want that. That's what the sprocket will roll on, That's it's new bushing. The next size up this space was too long. This size was actually just right. I forget the size now. Take your sprocket with you and size it up.
Pic #3:
Installation. Grease the bolt(I didn't here for pics sake),slide the sprocket(no washer in between. It seems to do well without),slide the washer so it doesn't get with the nut,screw in the nut,adjust it so the sprocket will spin,install on the tensioner mount,adjust tensioner,washer,lock washer(or double nut),nut. Ta Da.
Pic #4:
This is how I got it all lined up. Notice how that bolt close to the sprocket also acts as a spacer to keep the chain away from everything except the sprocket.
Pic #5:
Isn't she pretty?

Now go do this.
Do this NOW!
:D:D:D

Attachments

• old hardware.JPG
    old hardware.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 631
  • Wheel hardware.jpg
    Wheel hardware.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 668
  • wheel install.JPG
    wheel install.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 671
  • chain line.JPG
    chain line.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 691
  • tensioner.jpg
    tensioner.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 799
I totally love it! That's awesome. What size is that bolt? The hole in the sprocket bearings is tiny.
Great job, thanks for sharing the find.

Back