Frame Mounted questions from a noobie

Wayneburg

Local time
12:38 PM
Hello, I'm trying to figure out what kind of motorized bicycle I'm going to get. Earlier, I was deciding between electric and gas powered. I'm going with gas powered. Then, I was deciding between 2 stroke and 4 stroke. I'm going with 4 stroke for less noise and more efficiency. Now I'm trying to determine where I'd like to mount that 4 stroke. Can you help me with these questions?

If an engine is mounted to the frame, is it possible to use the gears of the bicycle along with the motor?

Is it possible to frame mount a 4 stroke engine on a bicycle and still be able to pedal the bicycle? I would imagine a wider crank would have to be installed so the rider's legs can clear the engine.

I really want a the bicycle to be as quiet as possible. I want to put a sound dampening housing around the engine. This would add more width to the engine. How wide can the crank be on a bicycle and still be ridable? I'm 6' 1" if that helps.

Thanks

Hello, I'm trying to figure out what kind of motorized bicycle I'm going to get. Earlier, I was deciding between electric and gas powered. I'm going with gas powered. Then, I was deciding between 2 stroke and 4 stroke. I'm going with 4 stroke for less noise and more efficiency. Now I'm trying to determine where I'd like to mount that 4 stroke. Can you help me with these questions?

If an engine is mounted to the frame, is it possible to use the gears of the bicycle along with the motor?
yes with a jackshaft, pablo has a nice setup. You need a front freewheel too, so the chainrings spin while the pedals optionally spin.
Is it possible to frame mount a 4 stroke engine on a bicycle and still be able to pedal the bicycle?
yes.
I would imagine a wider crank would have to be installed so the rider's legs can clear the engine.
I don't know.
I really want a the bicycle to be as quiet as possible. I want to put a sound dampening housing around the engine. This would add more width to the engine. How wide can the crank be on a bicycle and still be ridable? I'm 6' 1" if that helps.

don't do this; all bike engines are air cooled. You can do various things with the air intake and muffler to quiet them down more, even stuff little bits of rubber in the cooling fins.

Back