Frame too big!

hey AL, where did you get a clamp that size? I found a piece of metal to use but the smallest clamp autozone had was 1.5 inches, my down tube is of the small type and the clamp is just too big for a decent fit..

What you see is a standard 1- 1/2" muffler clamp on a 3/4" tube. Works great. I tried to mount it both ways but found the way I have it here was the best. Just make sure that the front mount bracket is fitted properly, and when clamped it won't be in a bind. A piece 5/16" all thread bent to fit will work, followed with a piece of flat metal aganist the front bracket. 14 gage works quite well and easy to work with.

Another option. In the picture you will see three "U" bolts I bought...got them from Lowe's.. they might have what you need. If you use one of these I'd discard the flat metal part that comes with it as I don't like the thiness of it, and make your own. I also didn't use this type because I felt the the muffler clamp was made from a better grade of material and could be tighten as much as needed without stripping the threads.

Attachments

• 1016091205-01.jpg
    1016091205-01.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 423
  • P1110081.jpg
    P1110081.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Made this one out of red oak:

Attachments

• e_engine block9.jpg
    e_engine block9.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 415
  • engine mount.JPG
    engine mount.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 350
Made this one out of red oak:

That looks just fine, so long as the wood and engine match up, no bind when tightening the nuts on the studs. Actually I thought about wood before making the ones I did. Wood, so much easier to work with. The only problem I looked at was, at what angle would I need to cut a hole or face in a piece of wood. Actually your mount looks better. Way to go.

Great ideas guys!, just waiting for my busy time at work to try one, currently 12 hrs/day!. Thought about wood too as I have no access to a welder.

those *u* brackets look pretty nifty were could i buy a couple of those

I think Al said he got 'em at Lowe's. The more I look at machiasmort's solution I think I'll try something in wood first, of course it will need to be a hard wood, no pine...

NO PINE!!! LOL! I agree!

You want the preasure against the grain! See the way mine is? I rough cut it, drilled the holes and fine tunned the U that fits arround the frame tube w/ a dremel "drum sander".

It's only a block that takes up space... NO SLOP is exceptable here tho...

I appreciate the compliments!

Back