Frame tube mitre cheat...yip-ya hooray!

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by reddbak, Dec 24, 2007.

1. reddbak

reddbak Guest

Performed a search for this with no response.

The most frustrating, awkward and time-consuming facet of frame fabrication has been shaping the correct tube-end when abutting another tube at an angle eg., Headset-Tube onto Down-Tube.

Thanks to a program download at the International Human-Powered Vehicle Association website, this is no longer a concern for me or any other would-be fabricator with basic maths and geometry skills.

The free Tube Mitre program instantly calculates and delivers ready for print, a wrap-around drawing of the correct mitre for a given tube OD going onto another tube of the same or varying diameter, at almost any angle.

I used it today and have attached a couple of images. My appologies for the blurriness.

The first image is the tube after wrapping the print cut-out around it and using this as a stencil to spray flat black paint over to give a shaping guide.

The second image is the new piece fitted between the top-tube and bottom-rail of my chopper frame.

To summarise, I found that allowing for an extra millimetre or two on the receiving tube OD gave a shallower guide which I could then shape as desired for a near perfect fit.

If needed I can do a step by step graphic proceedure for this. :cool:

2. Bean Oil

Bean Oil Guest

Where, my good man? I believe your honest intention may have been the bolded texts, but...

If you used the forum's "Insert Link" feature, it will erroneously add one too many "http://" to your photo link's url and render your attempt inoperative.

3. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Say when u get back from Christmas reddbak can u have another go at posting those pics.I don't have the expertese at the mo to make-up a frame but i am interested to see your u did hard it was.
    Father Christmas gave me a welder for Christmas and i'm just itching to try it out.
  4. reddbak

reddbak Guest appologies for that...I usually preview my posts, but obviously slipped-up here. :???:

Couldn't find the 'Edit' symbol/link either so attaching image links here.:confused:

When you download the .exe program file don't forget to get the 'text' instructions for it.:cool:

Attached Files:

5. Bean Oil

Bean Oil Guest

I believe there's a time limit for that one; how long I don't know.

The linking of pics aside, I for one am eager to see this thing run!

6. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Say now, that works well. Many thanks. Makes using round tubing much nicer without all the jigs and fixtures.