Frankenbike function over form

I rode it in to work today and lost a bolt out of the back sprocket side original motor mount. I had replaced the stud with a shorter bolt that I thought would work. it didnt and I put the old bent stud back in. the strange thing is the bike still had less vibration (then stock instaul) even though only held tight by the front mount. the bigger problem I had was that I lost another intake gasket but at least I found out why. the intake manifold and the mating surface on the jug don't match. I had hit both surfaces with a file to even them out as Augie suggested to someone else then made a new gasket that matched the jug surface but when I compared it to the intake it did'nt look right so I put the intake on the jug without a gasket to compare them and found out that there is an air gap from the studs being drilled 1/4 in to low. I guess I'll have to make an adaptor plate or I'll never be able to keep a gasket in this thing. I'm going canoeing tomarrow so it might be a couple of days before I get it put back together. later

so I could'nt wait till after the canoe trip. so last night I made the adapter plate for my intake from an old aluminum trailer fender I had laying around with a new gasket on both sides and this morning after loading canoes I took it for a test drive. the motor ran fine but the drive chain derailed. glad that didnt happen on the way to work yesterday. found that the pivot was sticking a little but moved freely after moving it by hand a couple of times, so to avoid this happening again I added a rubber bump stop between the top-back of the mount and the frame of the bike. after a quick test ride it all seems to be working well but I'm leaving in less than an hour so I dont have time for a long ride. gotta finsh getting ready. I'll add pics later.

Yeah I was wondering if you had a stop in there to keep the chain from slacking up to much.

I really like this project or yours.
Keep up the good work.

hi Mickal1025,
nice ride, good luck, the guy who got his install the same day as as me had the same problem, if he would read the forum he would see how to fix his right! people here flock together to help a guy or gal in need. it's too cool! i am waiting myself for dax to call...lol. :D :) :eek: :cool: :p

well it was really drunken out on the river today. I did not drive home. I wish I had read all the posts here before my build but it was still fun. I'll post again when I'm sober.

I rode 19 miles today no problems. 6-8 miles in town at under 20mph and 11-13 miles on county roads at 24-28 mph. the odo says top speed was 31mph but the motor seems to like running 24-26mph so I think thats where I'll run her outside of town.

2255_IM000607_2.jpg

Back