FREE PC Software(Legal ONLY)

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by fetor56, Mar 5, 2008.

1. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Anyone interested in free & legal Computer Software state your request and i'll try to provide it....i would rather it related to MBc business(eg,Spellchecker/Dictionary,etc etc) but if u have something special in mind please let me know.
    If u request something BE SPECIFIC about what u want,it's purpose,and your own computer requirements.
    NO serials/cracks/or other Shareware workarounds will be issued.Approved by MBc Admin.Any soft not directly related to MBc will be done on a PM basis.
    Knowing how handy u are with a PC would also be a help....for example,if u run around with a little propellor hat on your head i'll send u a more advanced program(or Doctor) :)

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

this is a helpful gesture, i hope people take you up on your offer :)

any chance you'd post some links to relevant forum plug-ins and such?
    are you willing to mentor the installations?
  3. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

if it would be possible, i really need some video editing software that will read .avi files (video format) movie maker is supossed to read it, but my new cam (samsung sc-dc173u) makes avi, and when media player reads it it locks up my pc, so i gotta do direct uploads :( a converter would be welcome too. i really want to make a movie-style production of my bikes
  4. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

This is one of the best freeware sites in the also has a forum.Scan through the relevent sections and try what u think best suits your needs.If u don't find what u want please get back to me and we'll go through it in more detail.
    I don't know your Operating System but whenever u try new soft it's always good to do a backup point with the default Windows "System Restore" only backs up a small number of system files and it doesn't tell u which files but it's better than nothing.There are MUCH better backup/restore programs but that's another story.
    I'm just thinking if u trial a large number of programs and it ruins your machine then atleast u have something to fall back on.
    For playing ALL video files i use VLC Media Player('s great cos it plays a VERY wide range of movie file types with good quality.
  5. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

No problem man to both question markes.
    BTW...i just noticed on that Major Geeks forum there's a guy called filthy rich cousin is it? :)
  6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest far as i know i don't have any rich relatives... ;)
  7. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

thanks fetor, i have xp. thinking of getting a junk drive and trialing vista. DEFINATELY not transitioning for a couple years though what with all the horror stories with in-compatibilites. im computer savy, and i am an AMATEUR programmer. ill let ya know what i find thanks.
  8. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

I've just found a cool google tool bar that comes with Send to, AutoLink, spell check and Autofill. It asks you all your info and you can fill in as much as you want including name and address. Any page you are on with places to fill in your info will be high lighted yellow. Spell check works on anything, including this site.
    I love the autofill because any time you need to put your email and stuff in, you just click it and everything is filled in for you. I always hated having to put my email in twice on sites like Craigslist. If interested just google Auto Fill, works great!
  9. loquin

loquin Active Member

One of the best tool sets out there is OpenOffice.Org. Recommended.

Open office is a set of office software, including word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, and graphics.

The word processor will read & write Word files. Likewise, the spreadsheet will read/write Excel. As the presentation software will read/write powerpoint. The database will import Access files, to some extent.

The software is not a perfect replacement - if the office files have macros, there may be some difficulties that will need to be adjusted (code changes.) But, for 100% free, open source software, it is remarkably good.
  10. spad4me

spad4me Member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  11. sparky

sparky Active Member

Yup... going one more step past OpenOffice is replacing your operating system with something more future-proof, like Ubuntu. Once you start finding software you like from the thousands and thousands of free apps in their central repository... you can easily install your favorite apps with one command upon a fresh reinstall. There are too many positives to open software. I'd highly recommend trying versions 7.04 (Feisty Fawn, more stable) or 8.04 (Hardy Heron, due in 2~3 weeks but still pretty stable).

Honestly, the biggest fault I see with Linux is not games anymore, because I think PC gaming is dying in general. Consoles will win the affection of gamers. The biggest fault with Linux is microphone input... for some reason very few drivers have been written for microphones. Other than that, most obscure hardware works plug-and-play.

Either way, if you can't kick the Windows habit, the best Win free site I remember was