Friction Drive Clutch Question

Discussion in 'Friction Drive' started by floridaboy, Aug 4, 2010.

1. floridaboy

floridaboy Member

I have a BMP FD with a Monster two cycle engine on my Electra bike. I have found that the clutch wants to fully engage about 15-17 mph. When i slow down below 15-17 mph the clutch disengages makeing rideing at any speed below that speed with power impossible. Other wise not able to ride say 8-10 mph with power. Is this because this is a two stroke and the clutch has a high engagement speed? Would a four stroke engine allow me to ride at a slower speed?

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      File size:
      220.4 KB

2. unior

unior Member

First make sure your roller isn't slipping on the tire.

If not look for weaker clutch springs. Sounds like you have stiff springs. Weaker springs will engage faster.
  3. floridaboy

floridaboy Member

Thank you for your reply. The roller is not slipping. I am thinking that the spring could be to strong also. Wanted to see what others that have a Monster engine say. Does anyone know if a four stroke clutch engages at lower speeds?
  4. unior

unior Member

the clutch is the only differentiator
  5. floridaboy

floridaboy Member

Thanks for all the replys. I have decided it must be a bad clutch so i ordered a new complete clutch and will replace it. Other then the clutch problem it is a great FD and the engine is getting stronger the more it breaks in.
  6. floridaboy

floridaboy Member

I got the clutch today from Scooter Parts and replaced the old one. It is working good and solved all my problems i was haveing with the old one.
  7. Whizzerd

Whizzerd Member

Glad to hear you're problem fixed FB. Nice bike BTW. Do you experience much vibration w/ your 2 stroke? How's the noise level?
  8. floridaboy

floridaboy Member

The clutch was the problem it now engages sooner and disengages at a lower speed. There is little vibration with the engine but it is quite loud at higher speeds. Other then the loudness i am pleased with the engine and the power.
  9. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Yes, it was probably the stiff clutch spring. My GP460 engine engages at 8,000rpm. Softer springs allow it to engage as low as 3,000rpm, which is better for MB application.
  10. adb140275

adb140275 Member

I have the same engine on my BMP kit. its loud, thirsty, but it screams. vibrates a bit at idle (enough to shake my mirror around)
  11. chuckbuck

chuckbuck New Member

same problem i think.

i have the same motor / kit. after working on getting my bike together i finally throw in gas today and the spindle starts going right away. the bike is almost choking before it stops spinning.

so motor on - spindle spins right away.
    motor choke off almost all the way - spindle barely stops spinning before dying.

it would appear i have the same problem as well then?
  12. floridaboy

floridaboy Member

Replaceing the clutch solved my clutch problem. The engine does make alot of noise but puts out alot of power. I would say it is quite smooth i like it alot.
  13. chuckbuck

chuckbuck New Member

i got it, tyyoooodall engine noob here haha. the throttle control on the carb was sticking. just had to work it back and forth a bit to free it up.

this is too much fun.
  14. keatonx

keatonx Member

Some auto clutches are adjustable. Not sure about these, though.