Friction Drive Clutch Question

floridaboy

Local time
2:50 AM
I have a BMP FD with a Monster two cycle engine on my Electra bike. I have found that the clutch wants to fully engage about 15-17 mph. When i slow down below 15-17 mph the clutch disengages makeing rideing at any speed below that speed with power impossible. Other wise not able to ride say 8-10 mph with power. Is this because this is a two stroke and the clutch has a high engagement speed? Would a four stroke engine allow me to ride at a slower speed?

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 416
First make sure your roller isn't slipping on the tire.

If not look for weaker clutch springs. Sounds like you have stiff springs. Weaker springs will engage faster.

Thank you for your reply. The roller is not slipping. I am thinking that the spring could be to strong also. Wanted to see what others that have a Monster engine say. Does anyone know if a four stroke clutch engages at lower speeds?

Thanks for all the replys. I have decided it must be a bad clutch so i ordered a new complete clutch and will replace it. Other then the clutch problem it is a great FD and the engine is getting stronger the more it breaks in.

I got the clutch today from Scooter Parts and replaced the old one. It is working good and solved all my problems i was haveing with the old one.

Glad to hear you're problem fixed FB. Nice bike BTW. Do you experience much vibration w/ your 2 stroke? How's the noise level?

The clutch was the problem it now engages sooner and disengages at a lower speed. There is little vibration with the engine but it is quite loud at higher speeds. Other then the loudness i am pleased with the engine and the power.

Yes, it was probably the stiff clutch spring. My GP460 engine engages at 8,000rpm. Softer springs allow it to engage as low as 3,000rpm, which is better for MB application.

Back