friction drive problem

Does it come off easy? So u used a whole tube of JB Weld, I havent used the stuff before but if seen it in the car shop though. Im into RC stuff and people use it all the time there, is it like a glue or a putty?

to my knowledge it NEVER comes off. i used a whole two tubes cuz you mix whats in the tubes in equal amounts. i think the tubes are one or two ounces each. i mixed them both but only used about half of the mixture with the sand. speads like cold penut butter. don't wait to long once you mix it. it hardens up so you cant work with it.

You DO need a different tire on there. Mountain bike tires don't work very well. You can buy one of the small grinding wheels with shaft ,that fit into your drill ,at a hardware store. WEARING safety glasses, or wrapping wheel in a rag, beat the grinding wheel in small power pieces.[ Grit ] Mix this with JB weld & put a light coat over the roller. Grips much better in wet conditions, BUT use throttle gradually to avoid wearing out the tire.

yeah it feels like sand paper. really hard sand paper. used maybe half a tube of each of the small size seperate tubes. had them in my shed for a couple years. it's warm here in utah so as i mixed the tubes on a piece of cardboard i added about a tablespoon of sand. mix it good and apply it sort of evenly around the spindle. didn't worry to much about exactness. just sort of even so your engine dont bounce up and down. then let it dry 24 hours. i set mine on the hood of my isuzu trooper and left in the sun and overnight. rode the bike after about 30 hours of drying time and the difference was fantastic. i guess if i'm guessing its about 4:1 ratio if 4:1 = JB WELD:sand

revelstone -- yes that JB Weld epoxy can be used for A LOT OF THINGS.. I have ran lightweight string through epoxy so as to add to worn out threads -- sand ? I will try that when the opportunity arises. Another good -- what I have found to be -- very good way to get more grip from a spindle -- take it to a small welding shop -- ask the welder to add a few -- beads around spindle -- rough beads so as to bit into tire -- as we know this will change the gearing ratio.. Happy Riding from Mountainman

Use a heat gun on the JB weld if it starts to solidify before you can finish with it. Just watch out if you heat it up too much the stuff will run like crazy.

hey i'm also using a weedeater that had a centrifugal clutch. I noticed you took yours off in one of the photos, did you just yank it off? How did you get it off? Was there a stud to screw a bolt onto for the roller once you got it off?

Last edited by a moderator:
mine had a small screw in the end of the part of the clutch that spins freely. it's either got a six pointed star shape on the end or a flat tip screw or a hex head screw. it comes out counter clockwise. dont break or your just done. the clutch itself is screwed on. hold the fins of the fan with a rag and your hand. turn the clutch counter clockwise with water pump pliers. the pliers should be in a flat position in relation to the cluch, not perpendicular. do not grasp the flyweights. grasp the solid part of the clutch. turn counter clockwise. from there you'll see what you have. good luck.

according to a message from another member, yes. the center hole has to be the same size as your drive shaft. shim it out from the flywheel so the skateboard wheel is over the center of your tire. then another washer, double nutted with lock tight. should hold but i personnally never tried it. however the other member that told me about it had a picture somewhere on this forum of a skate wheel that had been on a 20 inch pink bike so long that the roller was taking on the shape of the wheel. in reverse of course.

Back