friction drive

ratdoggg

Local time
1:58 AM
1: I got a honda gx 1 tiller motor and the gas tank is wrong for normal horizontal mount
can I rotate the engine so that the filler on the tank is at the top? Does it matter how you mount the honda?

2: On my ryobi friction set up,, can you run the engine without the cooling shroud.?
The way it is it sucks up all the road dust and blows it into the engine,, very messy!!:giggle:
3: Does any one have the dimensions for the bmp mounting channel.. I want to build my own system
and use their rollers shafts and bearings..

Last edited:
I think you will be much better off just buying a new kit, rather than trying to copy one. Saves a lot of time & headache.

I am building unit for a recumbent bike.. The standard bmp setup will not work at all..
That is the reason that I am making my own.. The standard unit just will not work,

If you have the gx 25 or 35 engine they will run in any position. I have found though, that storing them with the cylinder down is not a good idea. Lots of oil smoke from oil leaking past the piston.

I have the gx 31..
I am going to mount it horizontally and the gas tank is for a vertical..
Looks like if I rotated it so that the tank was on the side going up and down I could
fill it ok as the cap would then be on the top. Save 22 bucks for the other style tank..
Do you think that running in this position would harm the engine..?

While I am at it does any one know how to make the honda gx31 into a direct drive..
eliminate the clutch. I like the way I can bump start my ryobi on the run and turn it off
when needed and then just hit the arbor to the wheel and away I go ..

I have a 31 on a concrete screed....also runs in any position. Just don't mount it with the cylinder below the crank and it will be fine. It will run OK like that, but when you start it after sitting, you will get the anti mosquito effect.

Never disabled a clutch ( on purpose at least). Any thing to force the clutch shoes against the drum would probably work. I always liked the idea of an electric clutch like lawn tractors.

making it a direct drive would be easy just drill through the clutch drum and pads and put a bolt in it and there you are direct drive with very little mods but i dont know if bumping the honda would work it mite but keep the clutch bell and inerds intact and just put a bolt in it .

Back