Friction Roller Keeps Unscrewing

Discussion in 'Friction Drive' started by bobprobert, Mar 4, 2011.

1. bobprobert

bobprobert New Member

so i have the 2 stroke friction drive kit from daemon bikes. well i fired it up for the first time today and it started right up but then died after a few seconds. i noticed the roller wheel was no longer spinning freely so i took the motor off and the roller was unscrewed. i screwed it back in as tight as i could then put the motor back on. it rolled freely until i started it back up and went for a test drive. the first test ride went to the end of the street and back and no problems. then i went around the block and when i got back same problem. i have taken it back apart yet but im sure it's unscrewed again. any advice?

2. bobprobert

bobprobert New Member

i see lot's of views no one has any ideas?

3. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Not familiar with the Daemon kit. How is the roller attached? Sounds like the engine is running backward or something.

4. bobprobert

bobprobert New Member

5. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Hmmm, looks like it should self tighten. Maybe it unscrews when the bike is moving faster than the engine. Locktite might help. Is there a possibility (or room) for a lock nut....like a regular nut but thinner. Probably go on after the drum, but even before the drum would help.

6. bobprobert

bobprobert New Member

definitely no room for a nut on there. it seems to be unscrewing while it is idling from the vibration i guess. i will get some loktite tomorrow and see if that will hold and keep you posted

7. bobprobert

bobprobert New Member

btw i am not impressed by the daemon kit. the throttle cable was about a foot and a half too short to reach the motor plus it was missing the elbow that screws into the twist grip and the cable was backwards to boot. cost me an extra 20 from the local scooter shop for a replacement. then the arm that the quick release screws into was missing the hole and had to borrow a buddys drill press to do it myself and now the problem with the roller. thats what i get for trying to save a few bucks i guess. once i get this one going i am selling it and getting a better kit

8. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Good to know. I was wondering how those kits were. Saw them on EBay for a while noe. Good luck and may all your problems be small ones.

9. philcrudo

philcrudo New Member

Loktite and a roll pin will take care of the problem.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  10. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Is it left-hand thread or right-hand thread?

11. roughrider504

roughrider504 Member

Just use some red lock-tite and hope for the best. I also got the 4 stroke Daemon kit to save some money and wish I didn't. The huasheng engine has been good so far but I've replaced the bearings, roller and clutchbell with Staton parts. The Dameon bearings were junk, the roller was toothed which ate tires and the clutchbell wasn't welded straight.

12. bobprobert

bobprobert New Member

well once i took the motor back off i discovered the bolt that was coming unscrewed was now broken in half. half was stuck in the clutch bell and it was severed right at the roller itself. he is sending me a new clutch bell and roller unit should be here tomorrow so i will let you know how it goes from there. i will say this the guy has been good about helping me with my issues

13. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Good to hear. Best of luck with your new ride.

14. bobprobert

bobprobert New Member

ok so i put the new clutch bell and roller unit on my bike and took it for a test ride. i got about a quarter of a mile when the roller bolt broke again. i'm at a loss as to the problem. is this just junk product? should i just replace the roller and clutch bell with another brand? any suggestions would be helpful as i can't find anyone selling these friction kits or replacement parts anywhere

15. roughrider504

roughrider504 Member

16. bobprobert

bobprobert New Member

thanks! how do i remove the current bearings?

17. roughrider504

roughrider504 Member

There is a groove in the bearing that houses a small black c-clip which holds the bearing in place. I believe they make a tool for removing them, but you can remove it with a screwdriver if you have the patience. It could take a while using the screwdriver and pliers method so you may want to grab a beer or your beverage of choice before attempting.

[​IMG]

18. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

My question is if the threaded roller is left-hand thread or right-hand thread.
    If it's right-hand thread, that sucker will thread on and the engine will twist it on so tight. You ALWAYS have a difficult time unscrewing the clutch drum.

Just make sure that the clutch drum seats firmly onto the roller.

Do you have TWO rear support struts?

I've broken a couple of rollers exactly how you've done, when I used one rear support rod instead of two. As soon as I reinstalled the missing strut, the problem disappeared.

19. roughrider504

roughrider504 Member

It's right hand threaded

20. bobprobert

bobprobert New Member

the kit i have only has one support bar