From the Library of Congress (and other links of interest)

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by f11at125, Aug 15, 2007.

1. f11at125

f11at125 Guest

I was a little disappointed that a search for "motorized bicycle" only turned up three images in the Library of Congress, but one of them is quite nice:

Portrait of Priest, motorcyclist, standing next to a Merkel, an early motorcycle or motorized bicycle, on a street in Chicago, Illinois.

This photonegative taken by a Chicago Daily News photographer may have been published in the newspaper.

Attached Files:

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

hey...his bike looks like a few here !!! :rolleyes:
    cool pic ! :cool:
  3. WOW great pic, very typical of the era. A Merkel before they called it Flying Merkel. note the half front fender, direct drive belt, no clutch just a constant belt tensioner.
  4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

that be the case...whoa there Padre....hang on!!

I hope it had the brakes to choke her down!!
  5. f11at125

f11at125 Guest

There might have been a coaster on the rear, but definately nothing up front (save for the audible and Irish-accented "Sweet Fancy Mother of Moses" exclamation prayer-braking system).
  6. Yup, coaster brake in the rear only. you mainly use the compression release to start and stop. Remember this is 1906, no traffic, no stop signs, you just got on your bike and rode non-stop to your destination, at about 15-20 mph avoiding chickens, dogs, and horses. This direct drive method was used for a long time, even after everyone else had clutches and three speed transmssions a light weight motorcycle named Servi-cycle had no clutch from 1935 to 1940 or so.
  7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i found this repro of a 1906 advertisement while i was researching the popularity of motoredbikes in europe.

i didn't want to lose it & knew it would sorta fit in here, plus i figured a few of you might be glad to see it:

same search gave me this, so...:

this could be a good thread...just a collection of links to heritage sites and articles of interest. if you find anything worth talking about, but not worth a new topic, post it here... :cool:
  8. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2007
  9. DougC

DougC Guest

That's called a spoon brake.
    They're famous for not working well when cold, and not working at all when hot or wet.

A lot of later ones on third-world bikes are very big, so that they can absorb more heat--but many early (pre-1900) ones were made very small. They'd heat up rapidly and then the friction they could generate dropped to almost nothing.
  10. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

11. Scottm

Scottm Guest

That's an amazing site. I like to think that bike riders were once called the "LAW". I hope we are honoring them in our riding and uniting.
  12. D_M

D_M Member

TITLE: Motor cycle races, Laurel, Md., Nov. 25, 1915
    CREATED/PUBLISHED: 1915 November 25.

Attached Files:

13. D_M

D_M Member

TITLE: U.S. mailman & motorcycle
    CREATED/PUBLISHED: [between 1909 and 1940]

Attached Files:

14. D_M

D_M Member

TITLE: Weishaar, full length, seated on motorcycle; facing slightly right.
    SUMMARY: Winner of 100-mile race, Norton, Kansas, Oct. 22, 1914.

Attached Files:

15. D_M

D_M Member

Those were the only ones I noticed that had pedals, but there are lots of vintage motorcycle shots.
  16. D_M

D_M Member

Maybe this will work.

TITLE: Blair Shaw
    CREATED/PUBLISHED: [no date recorded on caption card]