Frustrated in New Orleans

yes, it's "simple"-- either the template will fit or it won't. That's simple.

That's not to say that it's not time consuming and therefore frustrating... but it's still "simple". "easy" and "simple" do not mean the same thing.

.face it, installing a gas engine on a bicycle isn't for laypeople, it's something that only a "gearhead" should even attempt

Mark:
Don't take this personally...this might not be what you're looking for. Maybe a friction drive with a 4 stroke would serve you better. Easy install, simple operation. Also check out GEBE or Staton kits. Purchase their kits with the rims and sprockets pre-installed. More $ but way less tinkering.

yes there is

you have two options,.. one find an early 1970's or 1960's beach crusier on ebay,....

or i believe worksman bicycles are still useing 1" tubeing which is what the motors were designed for.....

i went with a 1960's murray,.. motor bolted right on,...

If you can't carry a piece of card board with you maybe you should consider buying a bike that is already made. Or, find another hobby.

Terry

I suggest getting a friend to help, and learn some basic mechanic skills. You'll need those skills to keep you bike in running order. These bikes don't just break down, they will fall apart if you don't know what your doing.

With an attitude that Mark has portrayed so far, starting from his first post...that may be a challenge in itself.

it's simple? walk around, measuring, hoping to find a bike that will even remotely fit...then, *if* you find one, *then* you have to order a mount, and wait, and a few weeks later, when it arrives, you can (hopefully) proceed to the next stage (which will, no doubt, require ordering more parts, waiting, etc etc)....face it, installing a gas engine on a bicycle isn't for laypeople, it's something that only a "gearhead" should even attempt

However not true...keep thinking that.

it's simple? walk around, measuring, hoping to find a bike that will even remotely fit...then, *if* you find one, *then* you have to order a mount, and wait, and a few weeks later, when it arrives, you can (hopefully) proceed to the next stage (which will, no doubt, require ordering more parts, waiting, etc etc)....face it, installing a gas engine on a bicycle isn't for laypeople, it's something that only a "gearhead" should even attempt

You are absolutely correct. Only gearheads will be able to maintain and maybe even install ANY enguine on a bicycle. If you're not a gearhead before you install the bike engine, you WILL become one while maintaing an MB.

Remember, most engines were never intended to be installed on ANY bicycle.

It's like installing a Chevy V-8 engine into a Pontiac rear-engined Fiero. Never came with a V-8, but with the right kit, skills, tools and determination, it can be done.

Fieros were "MID" engine, not rear engine. Here's a photo of mine with 450 HP installed ! Motorized bicycles are nothing compared to this fabrication. And a heck of a lot cheaper to build !

Attachments

• f3004.jpg
    f3004.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 157
  • f2003.jpg
    f2003.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 145
  • f4005.jpg
    f4005.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Nice car porkchop

my Fiero burned up in 1987 with me in it !!!
Barley got out.... Man I loved that little car.q. It was a blast to smoke all those z-28,s. !!!!!!!!

Man did I go through the Goodyear eagles !!!!

there are thousands, possibly MILLIONS of people all over Asia riding motorized bicycles who are not gearheads, and they probably did the work themselves. These kits were not designed in a vacuum; they were designed with extant bicycles in mind.

Unless you want to spend more on repairs than the bicycle cost in the first place (that is, if you find a mechanic who will want to deal with a motored bike) you are going to have to learn a lot about these bikes if you want to own one and SAFELY operate it.

My engine was pretty "plug and play" when it came to the actual frame fit, but there have still been a stack of modifications that I've had to figure out how to do and then DO THEM. I'm not a mechanic, but I've spent about a month already reading up as much as I can and asking a lot of questions (and being GRATEFUL for any advice, BTW).

I'm not a gearhead, but I 'm a chick with a toolbox and I'm not afraid to use it.

Back