Fuel Mileage

Did anyone else read the comments section on the link that Van posted. One would think from the comments that the high schoolers had almost done something "wrong" in attempting and winning the competition. I, for one, think it's great that a well guided (no doubt) group of teens would put forth the effort to compete in, much less win, such an event. If I wore a hat it would certainly be off to them!!

Now, if we could find out how they did it........

Lynn

Now that gas is over 4 dollars a gallon.....

Now that gas is over 4 dollars a gallon in many places, my motorized recumbent is no longer just fun transportation. It has become essential transportation while still remaining the most fun, without being naked, that I have ever had. I put on over 400 miles per week with my machine. It has become my main mode of transportation.

Since using it as transportation, I have lost over 40 lbs. and am now in the best shape of my life.

People no longer look at it as just a toy or a fun machine to play around with. They are asking me questions about how they can get one to save gas money for travel to and from work. Amazing how the price of gas has made people more aware of how wasteful they were.

We are on the cutting edge!!!!!

My MPG is different for the type of riding I do. IF I pedal a lot, on the flats I can get over 200 MPG. If I let the engine do most of the work, I get around 165 MPG. Traveling in hilly areas affect mileage. I can get between 150 MPG and 210 MPG depending on how much I assist with pedaling up the hills and if I am going down the hills more than up.

By the way, I'm riding a Sun Speedster CX recumbent short wheel base with a fairing. I am using the Golden Eagle 32CC Tanaka with the HP carb and a X can exhaust. Very reliable and very fast. I am averaging around 43 MPH on the flats.

Now that gas is over 4 dollars a gallon in many places, my motorized recumbent is no longer just fun transportation. It has become essential transportation while still remaining the most fun, without being naked, that I have ever had. I put on over 400 miles per week with my machine. It has become my main mode of transportation.

Since using it as transportation, I have lost over 40 lbs. and am now in the best shape of my life.

People no longer look at it as just a toy or a fun machine to play around with. They are asking me questions about how they can get one to save gas money for travel to and from work. Amazing how the price of gas has made people more aware of how wasteful they were.

We are on the cutting edge!!!!!

My MPG is different for the type of riding I do. IF I pedal a lot, on the flats I can get over 200 MPG. If I let the engine do most of the work, I get around 165 MPG. Traveling in hilly areas affect mileage. I can get between 150 MPG and 210 MPG depending on how much I assist with pedaling up the hills and if I am going down the hills more than up.

By the way, I'm riding a Sun Speedster CX recumbent short wheel base with a fairing. I am using the Golden Eagle 32CC Tanaka with the HP carb and a X can exhaust. Very reliable and very fast. I am averaging around 43 MPH on the flats.

Wow that lack of wind resistance really helps your top speed. I can't wait for somebody with enough cash to motorize one of those bullet tadpoles with the full bodywork. Now that would be nasty.

Since it is easily possible to exceed the allowed speed limits for these vehicles with a fairing on a recumbent, I wouldn't want a full body unless it was for weather conditions. And then you run into concerns about windshield wipers, engine cooling concerns, etc. I think the improvements in fuel economy would be relatively small (improved airflow v.s. increased weight). If you are interested in speed, in and of itself, go to Bonneville. Augie's Motorized Bicycle Racing Association will probably be trying out that sort of thing.

I went to the Bicycle shop today to look at the possible donors for the engine of my dreams. You would not have believed the traffic in that place, it was the big one out here, Jax bikes. I saw a bike for 4,800.oo are you ready for that, and it did not have enough room to put the engine. They have some beautiful new bikes, looking at about 600,oo for one of the dolled up ones. I wonder if anyone has used the John Deer bikes for a motor, they look good. I wonder if those people are looking for transport or just a ride. If you pedal a bike do you have to count the milk you drink as fuel!, its 5 bucks a gallon LOL Have fun, Dave

Saw a study once saying the calorie content of a gallon of vegetable oil was enough to pedal 900 miles. Even a biodiesel MBC wouldn't be that efficient.

Saw a study once saying the calorie content of a gallon of vegetable oil was enough to pedal 900 miles. Even a biodiesel MBC wouldn't be that efficient.
Hmm... I'd like to see that study turn into an experiment. How many people could actually pedal 900 miles from just a gallon of vegetable oil??

I wonder how many of you are using your bikes for every day to ride to work? I took mine to work in the back of my truck and then rode it home to leave the truck there. The traffic for me is the biggest hang up. Well have fun, Dave

I've been riding to work every day for the last 2 weeks and it's FANTASTIC! I arrive always thinking, "I wish it was a longer ride"!!! I live in South Florida - gas is over $4 for regular...I pay about $4.20 for super for my MDX...which gets about 16mpg around town :( So I'm DEFINITELY saving big bucks here...at $80/tank. My ride is about 4.5 miles each way.

I RIDE ON THE SIDEWALK for most of the ride. The main road, Boynton Beach Blvd, is a 6-lane road, and no bike path...lots of old folks who shouldn't be driving, plus lots of cellphone users = DANGEROUS! So I use the sidewalks...keeping the speed to around 20mph. You just have to look ahead carefully at the driveways for cars popping out - they are looking at the traffic, not pedestrians or bikes - so you need to go slow enough to stop quickly.

I also pull in the clutch when going up and down the little sidewalk ramps when crossing from block to block, just to relieve stress on the spokes.

Once I'm off of the main road, I ride on the side of the road. I've found that if I'm on the main road, I want to go faster and faster to keep up...so the sidewalk is a great alternative for me, and much safer.

I will most likely buy a scooter in the future so I can go further and faster (safer, too), but for my short commute to work, this is killer!

As Large Fillipino always says "Stickin' it to the man!" Yes, I AM! :)

Hi. My GEBE is a daily commuter - 27 miles per day. I really get a kick out of this thing.

7-30-08
Hi, Egor
I ride almost daily to the post office and back. It's about 10 miles round trip. I also go to town and back twice a week and that's 13 miles round trip.
I mostly ride a Rans recumbent with a Ryobi 25cc 4 stroke on a friction drive. It's a homebuilt Frankenstien type of deal...
Anyway, I get about 230 mpg depending, as someone else said, on how much I pedal, how fast I go, etc.
It's mostly a flat drive with one, steep hill and I average about 15 mph. I don't go very fast because I'm not in a hurry and I don't want to draw attention. At 15 mph, you can barely hear the engine.
The recumbent is, frankly, pretty unstable, especially at low speeds and trying to get started. Once you get going, though, it's nice because it's so comfortable. It's like sitting in a recliner. I really love riding it.
You can see pictures and more at my personal blog if you're interested:

http://steverg.blogspot.com/2008/07/motorized-recumbent-diy.html

Steve G.
Grants Pass, Oregon

Back