Fuel/Oil leaking around head bolt

jmccrury

Local time
11:04 AM
I have noticed that I have fuel/oil leaking out around the top of one of the head bolts. I'm guessing this is causing an air leak too because I now I have to use the choke when I didn't have to before this. It also revs really high at times then it slows down. I have torqued down all of the head bolts again but it's still leaking. I don't have a torque wrench, but it is really tight and I'm afraid if I try to go tighter that it will strip out.

Does anyone have any solutions for this problem? I did some searching but couldn't find this problem in particular, so if it's out there a link will do.

I would take the head off, wipe everything down, inspect and reinstall with a NEW head gasket AND new metric nuts* (NOT THE ACORN NUTS) if everything looks fine.

The nuts are either M8X1.0 (or M8X1.25) or M6X1.0 available at most all hardware/screw stores.

I took the head off last night. The gasket looked good, but the bolt that was leaking had actually come loose. I tightened it down and put blue loctite on there. I didn't have a chance to go to the hardware store so I still used the acorn nuts that came with it, but I torqued them down really tight. After a three mile ride this morning I noticed a little oil still leaking around the bolt. It wasn't as much as before, but it's still leaking. I guess I may have to replace the gasket.

Any ideas on an easy way to install/tighten the head bolts? I just used pliers last night, but that of course is really hard to do and it damages all of the threads. I only use the threads at the top so it doesn't effect installing the nuts, but there has to be an easier way.

Also, I'm still having to use the choke and the motor doesn't run smooth until it warms up. I know this is normal for two-stoke motors, but I don't understand why it didn't require this before.

some better tools would be of much help for you --
I don't have a torque wrench at this time either
all of my tools burned up in Ca wildfires

they have those cheap ones now at Harbor Freight
not the preferred quality tool - but - way better than nothing

any good mechanic - friend - can lend you one for a short time

I am sure that you know to tighten head bolts - same as putting on car tire

Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Any ideas on an easy way to install/tighten the head bolts? I just used pliers last night, but that of course is really hard to do and it damages all of the threads. I only use the threads at the top so it doesn't effect installing the nuts, but there has to be an easier way.
Put 2 nuts on the stud and lock them together
Then you can use a wrench or socket to thread the stud in

I suspect the studs are getting loose at the bottom where they are screwed into the block. Consider JB welding them, I do. Also, a new headgasket is definitely needed.

Back