Clutch Fuel soaked clutch pads?

geebt48cc

Local time
5:26 AM
Yes, (Sky 2010 66cc with 320 miles) I started to take bike out today and when starting, clutch would slip. It didn't start, so the engine turned over a few times/ then slipped 90% of time?

I took cover off, and pads are wet causing it to slip. So, can I just clean pads with brake cleaner?

PS: Also, I'm trying to figure out how come they all got this way?

Appreciate---Glen:confused:

I'd check the seals first.

Have you left the fuel/gas on recently causing it to overflow from the carby and into the gaskets of the clutch side cover? Have you disconnected the fuel line recently and fuel has gone in there?

are you sure its fuel? Could it be grease from the small sprocket?

the seals behind the sprockets dont exist :rolleyes:

now the crank seals, on the other hand.... thats the ones! under the magneto rotor and the small GEAR! (pinion)

felipe has it ;)

get out the toolkit and start dismantling or buy a replacement engine :)

(n get a 48... ;) )

Seal

There is a clutch side oil seal. It's (Of all places,) Behind the clutch assembly on the crank arm. If it's blown yer clutch is full of oil and thats a bad thing. Just pull the clutch, pop out the old seal and pop in the new one. This is not a ENGINE TEAR DOWN situation. You don't have to split the case to do this.
Big Red.
SORRY, This is WRONG. The seal is behind the small gear that drives the clutch. Thanks Al for not letting me get away with bad advice.

Last edited:
There is a clutch side oil seal. It's (Of all places,) Behind the clutch assembly on the crank arm. If it's blown yer clutch is full of oil and thats a bad thing. Just pull the clutch, pop out the old seal and pop in the new one. This is not a ENGINE TEAR DOWN situation. You don't have to split the case to do this.
Big Red

Sorry but not correct.

The clutch assembly (holds the clutch pads) is on the clutch shaft and not on the crankshaft. The ONLY way for fuel to leak here is a bad case gasket, and that would cause a vacuum leak.

There are 4 bearings on these engines. The two on the clutch shaft has no use for a seal and can't cause fuel to leak onto the clutch pads (they are sealed or should be, mine weren't). The other two bearings (one behind the magnet and the other one behind the small clutch gear) use a seal, and are on the crankshaft itself. This is most likely your fuel leak if not actually a fuel system leak. Check all fuel connections, and park over a newspaper to see where the fuel is coming from. Don't pull the clutch out unless you need to replace the bearing. The crankshaft seals (2) are 15mm X 35mm X 7mm (actually a 7.5) but hard to find, and the 7mm works fine.

Last edited:
Sorry

Sorry but not correct.

The clutch assembly (holds the clutch pads) is on the clutch shaft and not on the crankshaft. The ONLY way for fuel to leak here is a bad case gasket, and that would cause a vacuum leak.

There are 4 bearings on these engines. The two on the clutch shaft has no use for a seal and can't cause fuel to leak onto the clutch pads (they are sealed or should be, mine weren't). The other two bearings (one behind the magnet and the other one behind the small clutch gear) use a seal, and are on the crankshaft itself. This is most likely your fuel leak if not actually a fuel system leak. Check all fuel connections, and park over a newspaper to see where the fuel is coming from. Don't pull the clutch out unless you need to replace the bearing. The crankshaft seals (2) are 15mm X 35mm X 7mm (actually a 7.5) but hard to find, and the 7mm works fine.
You are correct Al. I really hate giving wrong advice and don't know where my brain was. The SMALL gear driving the clutch has the seal. And you don't have to pull the clutch to get to it, although it may be easier to get to with the clutch out of the way.
I do make mistakes but will always own up to them. Thank's for not calling me "stupid" or something, even if I DID kinda deserve it.
Big Red.

Last edited:
If you have the gear puller tool (supplied with most kits, (or can be bought separately), then no use pulling the clutch itself.

Back