fuel tank mounted under rear rack, what rack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sactownie

Local time
12:13 AM
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I think thatsdax.com has those, call see if in stock.

I am hoping someone here has already done the research otherwise looks like im going to have to get the tank and go to a bike shop to match up what they have.

Look at the tank on the page please, then tell us exactly what your question is so we can answer it. http://thatsdax.com/ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_3.html

The tank on ebay does not appear to come with a rack like that one on dax does. I want a sturdy rack and I wonder what racks will fit that tank only on ebay. I do have a dremel with all the attachments so I can modify whatever. I just want a good strong rack to fit the tank to.

Last edited:
It's pretty simple what he is asking. He wants to know if anyone knows what rack the tank on ebay will fit. Not that hard to figure out.

hello , i sucessfully mounted that tank to a gt2a frame , i had to bend the included mounting braces
dax sells them with the chrome "cage" & the mounting braces ...it is clearly the better product

Hey sactownie. Whatever happened to your Spookytooth rear mounted 2.5l tank? The one that comes with the puny-looking rack for mounting?

I don't have experience with the tank you're looking into, and as you probably know if you've seen my posts around, I haven't even motorised a bike yet lol! but I do know a bit about "fully loaded touring" bicycles, and I am certain there are no bicycle racks intended for mounting a petrol tank underneath. Bicycle racks are not intended to mount anything underneath. Are you going to use a 26" wheel and planning to use a rack designed to fit over a 29er rear wheel? It might have to be a 24" wheel to get the kind of clearance (it looks like) you'll need for that tank. Hard to guess the dimensions of course but I'd guess it's more than a couple of inches. I expect you'll end up having to mount the tank on top of the rack.
The widest and tallest bicycle rear pannier rack that I know of is the Old Man Mountain Pioneer which is available in a 700C/29er version (one inch taller than the 26"-wheel version) at a nominal 16" tall. It is 6.5" wide with 0.5" diameter tubing so presumably 5.5" width inside. It is rated to support 70lbs, enough for serious heavy load tourers such as self-supported round-the-world cyclists, and it's priced accordingly (be sitting down when you click this link, lol!)
http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=O&Category_Code=PR

I never got the rack from spooky, I ordered it but then got an email from them the next day that it was unavailable.
Ive been using my stock tank strapped to a small made for the front rack that i mounted on the rear. It was temporary (going on over 6 months now LOL) and its the last thing I want to do to call my bike 100% finished. The other tank racks I see them priced at $50+ and they just dont seem worth that cause the rack they come with looks flimsy.
Guess Ill keep looking, my other possibility is one of those tanks that mounts under the top bar but all the post I seen on them say they have leaks when there new from bad welds.

A nice product called seal-all will seal the leaks. It's gas-proof and bonds to any surface. Pressure test the tank and put some seal all where you find any leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back