Fuel Valve Leak

Jon Kimball

Local time
11:03 PM
Hello,
I recently purchased a 49cc engine off of ebay and I noticed that the fuel valve that connects the tank to the fuel line did not fully screw into the tank and so i t was upside down. I thought nothing of this until it started leaking, very slowly. It wont go in any farther. Any suggestions?

Thanks

MBC EDIT: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN MOVED

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to take some heavy duty pliers to it and twist it in ( dont forget the little red washer ).

Thanks guys, would loctite seal it as well? Thats all i currently have that might work. But if you have any advice on where to by the other sealers that would be appreciated.

Thanks

I don't think loctite would seal it. Thread seal tape is cheap and available at Wal-Mart in the plumbing fixtures section. You can ask for it at any hardware store. I'm not sure if auto parts stores carry it but they may. Of course Home depot and Lowes would have it in plumbing.

Teflon Tape

I had this problem. I also wanted to reposition the petcock, and all I needed was about 90 degree's less, so I just used about 3 wraps of teflon on the washer only, that made it THICKER, and has sealed and worked perfectly.

The standard white teflon tape melts from fuel. After a few weeks it was goo.
Get the one that's solvent/fuel proof.

Back