full staton or homebuilt

duivendyk: Yeah, I have been riding a GEBE for about a year and as far as being an every day driver, I have never been able to go more than a month or so without some kind of thing or other breaking down... Now with this much stronger engine, I am going to make it as overkill and solidly built as possible. Motorcycle spokes, chain drive, freewheels, solid tires, super heavy duty rim, the whole nine yards. I am about to dump a good $600 into this beast.

Not everything out of Staton is necessarily bullet proof.Read about SirJakesus travails with the Staton NV rearwheel.I have one like that too.If you get the left drive variety you can get a standard heavyduty wheel,is that chain you plan to use compatible with the left derailleur setup you were considering?

Yeah, I pretty much decided to stay away from the NuVinci just for that reason. I will check out SirJakesus stories though... It is fragile in the same way that internally geared hubs are. Lots of small moving parts that don't stand up very well to potholes and such. My basic philosophy for this rebuild is thick metal and strong, strong, strong. The GP460 will compensate and still be much faster than my tanaka32cc was anyway. If this takes away a few MPG, so be it.

I don't know really wether the NV is rugged or not ,the jury is out on that,nobody has reported how it stands up to extended high speed operation.It's certainly a simpler than these modern 4-7 speed planetary geared hubs.The old 3 speed ones were not bad, at all,as long as you did not shift them under load,and kept them lubricated,they were quite durable

I Dont Know If I Agree With That. I Had One Explode On Me After About Three Months On My GEBE. I Dont Think I Will Ever In Down That Road Again. Ten Miles At Seven Miles Per Hour With A Screeching Gear Set Is No Fun.

It wasn't the NV hub that failed SirJakesus.....it was the spokes, and it appeared to be due to the angle at which they were coming out of the rim.....

Warner

I remember that thread... I do seem to remember reading somewhere, maybe even on staton's site about how the thing is better suited for smooth roads and is great so long as you don't go on rough terrain. I am pretty sure I am going to stay away from it anyway. I don't really think I need more than two speeds really. A nice low gear for hills and mountain riding and a medium gear for everything else.

The NV is something of an overkill with it's wide 3.5 ratio ( it was designed to replace rear hubs or derailleurs),1.5-2.0 would be quite adequate for most appl. What you can get with the Kerf derailleur arrangement is 16/13=1.23 which is on the skimpy side.19/16/13 would be much better with 1.46 and 1.23, problem is you can't get three sprockets on the Staton adapter (unless you grind down the sprockets which is pretty ifi).Of course 1.23 is better than nothing,it seems to work for him.I believe you have the same engine.

The NV is something of an overkill with it's wide 3.5 ratio ( it was designed to replace rear hubs or derailleurs),1.5-2.0 would be quite adequate for most appl. What you can get with the Kerf derailleur arrangement is 16/13=1.23 which is on the skimpy side.19/16/13 would be much better with 1.46 and 1.23, problem is you can't get three sprockets on the Staton adapter (unless you grind down the sprockets which is pretty ifi).Of course 1.23 is better than nothing,it seems to work for him.I believe you have the same engine.

JJ, do you have a link to the info about Kerf's deraileur? I'd be interested in seeing that arrangment.....

Thanks!

Warner

The thread is "two speed Staton",go to members list, look up Kerf,and this particular thread.

Back