Full suspention pushtrailer

Discussion in 'Push Trailers' started by KeyWest, Oct 10, 2009.

1. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

Full suspension push trailer

This is a lot of fun my son gave me the ok to cut up his minibike,check it out let me know what do you think.It is a 49cc I think with pull start and auto transmission.rides nice I like it thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009

2. Rgvkid

Rgvkid Member

Looks good. I thought about using a bike shock like that. How is it working out for you? Most of those shocks are pretty stiff so i wasn't sure how much good it would be. How do you like it? Lets see some vids of it pushing.

3. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

I used a minibike frame I think that it is heavy for that small engine, it pushes me at about 20 mph, the pusher is very stable My thinking was that the shock would take care of the up & down movment I have the shock set to the lightest setting for the most shock play up and down.on the seat post side it can only move side to side I used a head tube front fork for that.It works for small grades like driveways and speed bumps, allso having a full suspension bike helps. I think for this heavy duity trialer it really needs more power mybe the H.F. Engine will be in the works.

4. Rgvkid

Rgvkid Member

The HF 6.5 should be more then enough for you and the trailer weight. But you will be over the legal limits if you don't mind trying to smooth talk your way out of it if you happened to get stopped. I would think the 50 would be kinda small unless modded. You could try a 2.5 HF degoved which im sure would put out more then the 50cc and be closer to the legal limit.

The problem with the trailers is the skip when at higher speeds. Suspension would help if it wasn't to stiff in which most shocks would probably be unless weighed down with gear but then you lose power. You can also change the shock angle to get different shock performance adjustments also

5. tacoshell4

tacoshell4 Member

creative minds think alike lol. need to get the trailer going I was online and there are way tons of motor upgrades available for the dio 50 engine I can big bore it up to 125 cc and stroker crank it wow it would be way sick fast def deadly..

6. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

The egine that I have on mine now will push me at 20 mph. That's pretty good for a 49cc engine. Anyone now about what speed gains the H. F. 2.5 would get me ??? I will be saving up for it. Thanks

7. RusticoRay

RusticoRay Member

I rode this trailer H.F.2.5 HP with the govenor removed yesterday, had it at 30.9mph on flat ground . The unit plus bike is very light though. It does have lots of grunt, It will push at 20mph up a steep incline and not slow down. Reynolds Weld Lab Derry N.H. put it together.

Attached Files:

8. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

RusticoRay,
    thanks for the pics of that H.F. trailer ? what size sprocket on drive wheel and do you have any pics of the hitch.Was that 30.9 wide open throtle. thanks

9. RusticoRay

RusticoRay Member

KeyWest,
    If you PM an email address I could give ya a flip video of trailer I took last week. I pulled the pics from video. The drive wheel is ten inch the sprocket is a 35 chain I dont know the size of sprocket right now but I will find out . The hitch is a piece of stock bent to match roll of rear fender and attatched to the seat post. Flat ground wide open throttle.Standard MaxTorque 5/8" 35 chain centrifical clutch on the motor. 30 MPH on a push trailer is plenty, plenty for a bicycle also. The real value with that motor becides the price is the torque. It will climb hills.

10. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

Redone My Push Trailer

this one should have a little more attitude H.F. Greyhound 2.5 jackshaft setup.It will be on the road soon.

Attached Files:

11. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

more pictures

Attached Files:

12. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

And some more pictures let me now what you think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  13. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

the governor has been removed clutch gear is 10 tooth to 14 tooth jackshaft then 10 tooth to 36 tooth drive wheel sprocket.I will post more pics of the hook up at seat post. and finished bike later.

Attached Files:

14. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

this is how i hooked up my trailer.

Attached Files:

15. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

Back on the road again

My pusher is working out good with the new engine H.F. 2.5 h.p. lots of power.the mods i have done are removed governor, changed exhaust it has a 1 inch straight pipe sounds deep but not to loud.changed to a screen for the air filter cover, I have put about 100 mile on the bike now and i like it alot, dont know what the top speed is yet i have had the bike up to 44.5 on a wide open road dont want to get pinched by the Man if ya know what i mean.
    Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

16. Rgvkid

Rgvkid Member

Looks great West! Great Job! I have both 6.5 and 2.5 motors but have yet to build my trailer. How is that shock working for the trailer? is it actually helping the bounce at the rear? Do you fill like your hitch mount should be double sheard or does it feel pretty solid?

If you were to do it over, what changes would you make?

Thanks for taking the time to post pics and keep us updated. I have 2 trucks which both guzzle gas. I have wanted to build my trailer for a long time now but always get sidetracked. What is the lonest commute you have done so far on the 2.5?

You know you could get your bike registered as a moped and get a license plate. I would have a 50cc sticker made and slap that on the engine fan case just in case you ever get questioned.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  17. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Hey, looks good. I tried about the same thing using a Honda Aero 50 scooter drive train. In my case I can't consider it a success.....the engine ate a ring after about a week. :icon_cry: Didn't think it was possible to break a Honda before that. The CVT drive was nice though......and very quiet. In my case, weight was a little much. Do you find that the "trailer drives the bike"?

Also noticed your bike...another goose. :grin5: If those are BMX bars, that's what I did too. They are some tough bikes. Seem to work great for MB conversions.

18. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

Rgvkid thanks for looking, the shock is working the trick is to get another spring that is limp lots of movment I have not experienced any hop on this project.

look at the attachment's close up's of my bracket,the first is no way,second not welded not strong enough yet, third & fourth welded and strong.It has side to side movment and as for the up and down movment I would have liked the suspention on the bike to take care of that, but after riding it now for awhile I think I should have spent the money on materials needed for the other kind that I have seen made on here.

I will do it over agian sometime soon and the change that I would do is the hitch up point, I try not to speed any money on my projects,work with the materials on hand.

I ride mine around town on short 5 mile trips,the other day was a longer ride just over an hour long I rode up the coast on P.C.H. about 15 miles stopped,let the engine cool down then road back home,got it up to 44.5 at one point but cruised the trip at 30 m.p.h.

I do have a plate on the bike pusher over here in H.B. the cops eye-ball you real close and you better follow the rules of the road around here,and I have had them follow me.

And everytime I take it out lots of people just think it's off the wall.Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

19. KeyWest

KeyWest Member

Ibdennyak,
    This set up seems to work well,heavy enough to keep all that power on the ground trailer is about 60 pounds and yes it "drives the bike" but in a good way I have total control, You can lean harder in the corners.

With the striaght bars i was over the bars so to speak,and with the BMX bar's puts me upright in a better riding position.

now if i had that other floating type hitch with up & down and side to side would I have the same control ? would it hop?

Thanks for looking.

20. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Don't know about the hop. I had 3 different pushers and they didn't *hop*, but I used the axle mount *bob trailer* hitch. By the way...I have a 250# suspension spring from a 20 inch boys bike that I'm not using for anything. Bout the *limpest* spring I've seen so far. Yours for postage if you want it.

Other than the lack of full articulation, I kind of admired your mount ingenuity. I did build a 2 wheel trailer for a tadpole using a swivel from a 1/2 inch drive socket set for the articulation. It worked well. The reason I went with that is I broke a seat post with a more rigid mount and ended up sitting on the tire. Interesting coming down a hill with a 200# trailer and little diesel chasing you. :eek:

Glad to hear your trailer handles as well as it does. On my Honda setup,I had a large plastic tote enclosing the engine and providing cargo area. It wasn't a *beast* to handle, but you knew it was there. I tend to get a little carried away with turning bicycles into trucks anyway I guess. :devilish: Should put that one back together....got a new piston, just need to bore the jug to fit..

Anyways, carry on, and if you want to try my spring just send me a PM.

Denny