future So Cal MBer here...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by sabala, Jan 19, 2008.

1. sabala

sabala Guest

Hi all, I live in Santa Monica, Ca. I have no mechanical experience at all but I know I want a motor on my mountain bike!

Looking at GEBE or a friction drive, (Dimension Edge/Staton) to start my motorized experience. Can't wait!

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome to MBc ! :D
  3. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

4. mickey

mickey Guest

Welcome aboard
  5. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Welcome to MBc.
  6. Egor

Egor Guest

I know what you are saying, about needing a motor on the bike. I got in trouble a few years ago, while touring in Utah. We were stopped at a rest stop in Zion national park, when a pare that were bicycling across America stopped with us. The young lady nearly fell down from exhaustion, as she stopped. I just had to make the comment "You know you don't have to do that any more, they did invent the internal combustion engine". Well you should have seen the look I got, it would kill. She never said a word to me, I wonder why! Have fun, Dave
    PS: I am in Long Beach, not far. There are a bunch of good places to ride in P.V. around Fort Macarthur, to the Light House.
  7. Abeagle

Abeagle Guest

Welcome to MBc. :cool:
  8. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Guest

Welcome from the Giant Side of Texas!
  9. sabala

sabala Guest

Awesome! Thanks everyone.

Egor, I used to pedal my bike from Santa Monica to Beverly Hills (9 miles) then run my butt off in valet parking for 8 or 9 hours straight with only one 15 minute break then pedal my bike back home and I probably looked like that lady you saw.

Had someone mentioned I could get a bike engine I would have started groveling at their feet. "Where? WHERE?? TELL ME PLEASE!!"

Better late than never I guess.

I also mentioned "motorized bicycle" at the bike shop for the first time the other day. The eyeballs of the dude almost fell out. WHAAAAA?????? With the whole eye roll and attitude to match.

Ooooooook, I see how it is now!

Said someone had brought one in and it weighed a hundred lbs or something. Maybe a Whizzer I'd imagine? Anyway, I can't wait to cruise pass that shop with my motored bike one day.
  10. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

G'day man and welcome to MBc.
    Don't worry,soon you'll be motoring past that bike shop with a HUGE smile on your face.
    Members here are happy to help as much as possible but it's also up to u to READ as much as possible first...read read read previous threads to get a good understanding of how to go about things.There's plenty of do's and dont's,plenty of great info. :smile:
  11. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Welcome to MBc. Fetor pretty kmuch sumed it all up. Check out the different builds in the picture gallery and find those that call out to you and study up. You're in the right place and taking the right steps. Have fun!
  12. Egor

Egor Guest

Sabala, - The bike shops with the Foo Foo bikes and carbon fiber bits will not even look at your bike. Their customers wear multi colored spandex clothes and drink that expensive water from Planet unfriendly bottles. I had one of there fellas going the other way past me and was holding his nose, LOL, just made my day. There is a shop in L.B that has everything you would ever need, they sell chopper bikes and the like, now they thought it was cool. Happy time bikes forever. Have fun, Dave
  13. motman812

motman812 Member

shop in LB?

Hi, Egor.
    Could you please give me the name and address of the shop in LB that you mentioned?
  14. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

welcome sabala! i suppose we can share the road with the purists, but god there snotty! lol!
  15. Egor

Egor Guest

Motorman, I don't know the name of the shop, but it is on the corner of Broadway and Alameda, North side of the street. He has the springer for 39 bucks, and he had a chopper frame I wanted for the same money. Check it out, I think you will like the shop, if you don't see what you want just ask he has stuff in little cubbies all around the place. Have fun, Dave
  16. sabala

sabala Guest

I think when I'm motored, I'm gonna get one of them lycra/spandex costumes like they wear and just follow those guys around...Is that wrong?? :lol:
  17. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

You'll know it's wrong when you start talking in a higher octive because the spandex didn't span for Mr. Johnson. Ha Ha Ha!
  18. Egor

Egor Guest

A spandex Spiderman outfit, now that would be cool. Have fun, Dave
  19. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

With a Darth Vader helmet. Ya Get a picture for us. That would be toooo cooool.
  20. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

spandex Spiderman outfit/Darth Vader helmet....sounds pretty twisted to me........LOVE IT. :cool: