Fuzzies from Clutch

eric_f

Local time
1:04 AM
Hi all, I've got about 50 miles on my HT setup and I opened the clutch cover for the second time to put a dab of grease in there and there was about 1/2 teaspoon (lol) of fuzzies from the clutch pads for the second time. They were flung about the casing. Is this normal while breaking in? I've never had anything with a dry clutch setup before so I don't know the norms. I always pedal from a standstill.

Another thing I've noticed is that it will drag for 3 feet or so on a cold startup before spinning the motor over. It feels like I lock the rear brake, but then it fires right up as soon as it turns past the first compession. It has no problem with clutch slippage or engagement when the motor is running. How far in (if at all) should I adjust the star nut? Trial and error?

I love the tinkering involved on these things :D

Everything you describe sounds normal to me, except your clutch slipping a little during a cold start. You may want to adjust it slightly with the star nut just to keep it from wearing prematurely.

1/2 teaspoon (lol) of fuzzies from the clutch pads for the second time. They were flung about the casing.

Another thing I've noticed is that it will drag for 3 feet or so on a cold startup before spinning the motor over.

fuzzies -- from the clutch wearing in there a little
should be less fuzzies as clutch smooths out -- breaks in more

drag for three feet -- might want to be sure clutch is adjusted correctly
when clutch is released -- should be a small amount of slack in cable

makes it nice when we Ride That Thing Mountainman

tighten the nut two notches....becareful with that little screw its really cheap and softe and you cna't buy them

use some sticky grease on the gears

you will always have some junk in the clutch area but it seems to settle down after a while

Back