Gas and oil cost: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by boyntonstu, Jan 1, 2015.

1. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

Cost considerations:

Pure gas or 10% Ethanol? Is pure gas necessary?

Adding approximately 4oz of 2 stroke oil per gallon vs oil changes every x hours or y miles?

Effort and mess changing oil and disposal.

Methinks 2 strokes have many advantages.

2. dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior Member

4 strokes usually last longer but cost more at first. Many factors to consider

3. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Personal preference as to which one chooses, no better or worse. I prefer 4 strokes and something you don't have to work on every week. I will say 2 stroke owners are a funny lot though. They love hearing a buzz saw just 3ft from their ears, they love mixing gas and oil and being different. HT owners are also into self inflicted pain of having to endure the ownership of an HT and do it willingly with a smile.

4. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

How often do you change the oil and do you have to turn over the bike to drain it?

Do you run 90:10 gas?

5. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Works for me to change oil every spring, motor mfg suggests every 50 hours. I don't know anywhere that sells pure gas anymore. All gas here is 10% ethanol so there's not much choice in that. 90:10 is that a 2 stroke gas mix ratio? Draining the oil on the HS 49cc is easy peasy with a drain plug located on the bottom of the case.

6. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

Sounds easy.

FYI http://pure-gas.org/

7. troyg

troyg Member

Well I hope you're joking, otherwise that would mean your head was deep in a fecal filled hole, between the crack of two flaps of fat.I suppose you never do long non stop trips as well, where 2 strokes shine.
    Not every 2-stroke is a HT (dim), not every 2-stroke need to be worked on.Tanaka's, Mitsubishi's, require NOTHING until you have to do the upper half.I have both quality 2 and 4 strokes, the 4 strokes are more of a hassle with the oil change (my opinion) I get no oil on my hands or anywhere mixing 2.5 gallons, I get oil on my hands and many rags changing the little droppers worth on the EHO35.
    With a name like Darwin you'd think you'd take into account the weight difference, which does make a difference on wear and tear and gas mileage.If you're kidding, well maybe they have some humor lessons in your area, check craigslist.

8. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

It was a yoke on the 3 strokers.

9. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

Exactly what my reasons were for believing that 2 strokes were less of a hassle.

(what does HT mean?)

10. butre

butre Well-Known Member

I don't know anywhere that doesn't, but then again it's 2015 and I'm still using leaded gas in my bike.

11. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Maybe because we have to have all cars/trucks emissions tested here in the metro area. Out in the boonies they still sell leaded gas butre?

12. butre

butre Well-Known Member

nope, there's a federal ban on leaded gas for road vehicles so you can't get it at a typical gas station. you can get it at aviation fields and drag strips and some specialty fuel stations though, because they serve vehicles that aren't classified as road vehicles. I get mine at a nearby airstrip. do a google search for 100LL avgas if you want ethanol free 100 octane gasoline for around $5.00 a gallon.

13. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

FYI http://pure-gas.org/

Let us know how close is your nearest station.

14. butre

butre Well-Known Member

The nearest ethanol free station (which also happens to be the nearest gas station) is around 2 miles away from my house, but it's 87 octane only. I can't use 87 in my bike. Higher octane ethanol free fuel isn't available in my area other than leaded fuel.

on top of the added knock resistance, avgas burns cooler than mogas so you can jet it a little leaner than you normally would. air cooled engines are typically jetted rich so it doesn't overheat and you don't need to run it quite so fat on cooler burning fuels.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  15. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

What compression ratio?

16. butre

butre Well-Known Member

I'm using a head that's meant to give 10:1 but the cylinder is decked and I haven't measured the ratio. I know I'm getting just shy of 180 PSI compression.

17. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

I calculate 12.2:1 Wow! It must really scream.

I flew a 4 cyl 2 stroke engine on 93 octane. It was designed for 110 octane.