Gas and oil cost: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke.

boyntonstu

Local time
9:20 AM
Cost considerations:

Pure gas or 10% Ethanol? Is pure gas necessary?

Adding approximately 4oz of 2 stroke oil per gallon vs oil changes every x hours or y miles?

Effort and mess changing oil and disposal.

Methinks 2 strokes have many advantages.

Personal preference as to which one chooses, no better or worse. I prefer 4 strokes and something you don't have to work on every week. I will say 2 stroke owners are a funny lot though. They love hearing a buzz saw just 3ft from their ears, they love mixing gas and oil and being different. HT owners are also into self inflicted pain of having to endure the ownership of an HT and do it willingly with a smile.

Personal preference as to which one chooses, no better or worse. I prefer 4 strokes and something you don't have to work on every week. I will say 2 stroke owners are a funny lot though. They love hearing a buzz saw just 3ft from their ears, they love mixing gas and oil and being different. HT owners are also into self inflicted pain of having to endure the ownership of an HT and do it willingly with a smile.

How often do you change the oil and do you have to turn over the bike to drain it?

Do you run 90:10 gas?

Works for me to change oil every spring, motor mfg suggests every 50 hours. I don't know anywhere that sells pure gas anymore. All gas here is 10% ethanol so there's not much choice in that. 90:10 is that a 2 stroke gas mix ratio? Draining the oil on the HS 49cc is easy peasy with a drain plug located on the bottom of the case.

Works for me to change oil every spring, motor mfg suggests every 50 hours. I don't know anywhere that sells pure gas anymore. All gas here is 10% ethanol so there's not much choice in that. 90:10 is that a 2 stroke gas mix ratio? Draining the oil on the HS 49cc is easy peasy with a drain plug located on the bottom of the case.

Sounds easy.

FYI http://pure-gas.org/

Well I hope you're joking, otherwise that would mean your head was deep in a fecal filled hole, between the crack of two flaps of fat.I suppose you never do long non stop trips as well, where 2 strokes shine.
Not every 2-stroke is a HT (dim), not every 2-stroke need to be worked on.Tanaka's, Mitsubishi's, require NOTHING until you have to do the upper half.I have both quality 2 and 4 strokes, the 4 strokes are more of a hassle with the oil change (my opinion) I get no oil on my hands or anywhere mixing 2.5 gallons, I get oil on my hands and many rags changing the little droppers worth on the EHO35.
With a name like Darwin you'd think you'd take into account the weight difference, which does make a difference on wear and tear and gas mileage.If you're kidding, well maybe they have some humor lessons in your area, check craigslist.

Well I hope you're joking, otherwise that would mean your head was deep in a fecal filled hole, between the crack of two flaps of fat.I suppose you never do long non stop trips as well, where 2 strokes shine.
Not every 2-stroke is a HT (dim), not every 2-stroke need to be worked on.Tanaka's, Mitsubishi's, require NOTHING until you have to do the upper half.I have both quality 2 and 4 strokes, the 4 strokes are more of a hassle with the oil change (my opinion) I get no oil on my hands or anywhere mixing 2.5 gallons, I get oil on my hands and many rags changing the little droppers worth on the EHO35.
With a name like Darwin you'd think you'd take into account the weight difference, which does make a difference on wear and tear and gas mileage.If you're kidding, well maybe they have some humor lessons in your area, check craigslist.

Exactly what my reasons were for believing that 2 strokes were less of a hassle.

(what does HT mean?)

I don't know anywhere that doesn't, but then again it's 2015 and I'm still using leaded gas in my bike.

Back