Gas and Storage for Two-Cycle Engines

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Hive, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Hive

Hive Guest

Maybe I should put into Rack-Mounted section, but one question, which I know has been remarked upon in past, needs fresh response, because recent alternative views, including my small engine guru and ex-small engine tech neighbor has me asking again:

Better to drain gas from tank AND carb by running engine dry?

Or, is it better to add Stabil and run engine a bit. after all, engine will be dormant for say 5 months at most?

I also have two gallons mixed storage.

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

this same question is floating around somewhere

some suggest using SEAFOAM -- bought at most auto parts stores

for a five period I would just run the engine until it dies - starving for gas

that first (small) tank of gas -- after storage -- I may mix a little rich -- good idea

then just fill her up in five months and

ride that thing
  3. Hive

Hive Guest

Riding the Thing

But I mostly peddle. You are right, however!
  4. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

For winter storage, I run "storage oil" through the carbs, shut the engine down and drain the fuel bowl and tank. I use Sta-Bil all year round in my power equipment, but will pour any leftover fuel in my car. (even premix, since it is a very small amount of oil in a car tank)

Maybe not so important with a motorized bike, draining the fuel bowl is important with todays small engines, as they are jetted lean for emissions and are not tolerant at all to the slightest amount of varnish build up.
  5. Hive

Hive Guest

Putting 2-cycle gas (leftover ) in car

Great idea... Don't think my old Nova will mind a half quart here and there.

Good one!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2008
  6. will_start

will_start Member

As I'm going to put my petrol bike into cold storage, this post is useful.
    Maybe in five years time when the Australian Federal and State governements wakes up,
    and realises that fuel prices are out of control, a 150 Miles Per Gallon motor will be useful
    for the working poor, I'll be able to use my bike again legally.

Til then Good night Ned.
  7. graucho

graucho Active Member

Yes, seafoam. My favorite product on the market when dealing with gas/engines.
    I overdose my fuel with seafoam and run engine till a stall. then drain the bowl.
    In my lifetime...Tens of twostrokes. Tens of small 4 strokes, always started top notch
    in the spring. I also use it small dose year round in everything.
    This site has specs. and uses.

Small Engine Applications

As far as your 2 gallons of mix......Use 1 pint to seafoam to stabilize 6-12 gallons of 2 cycle (gas-oil mix) fuels (average 2 ounce per gallon).
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  8. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

If you drain the floatbowl, then seafoam isn't needed. I have been doing the drain and run dry with no additives on motorcycles for over 30 years with never a varnished carb.

On my MB's, I add double strength stabil and mix it with my 2 stroke fuel and run engine to ensure the carb and floatbowl are full with the stabil treated fuel. Haven't had any problem in 4 years with winter storage on any of my MBs doing the DS stabil.
  9. graucho

graucho Active Member

True.....No argument there. But I use seafoam for these reasons. Not just for storage.
    Assures fast starts
    Smooths rough idle
    Restores power
    Cleans fuel injectors
    Cleans carburetor jets
    Cleans carbon
    Stabilizes fuels
    Upper cylinder lube
    Removes moisture in fuel
    Frees sticky lifters
    Frees sticky rings
    Removes moisture in oil
    Cleans P.C.V. systems
    Cleans catalytic converter odors
    Oxygen sensor safe
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  10. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I don't really trust any additive that contains powerful solvents to clean deposits and also claims to be a lubricant. Since a two stroke derives its lubrication from the fuel it consumes, it is counterintuitive (IMHO) to put solvents in the fuel. In a four stroke engine crankcase, the addition of such additives will thin the crankcase oil a little, but there is plenty of base oil left. If you are putting a couple of ounces per gallon in a two stroke, the solvent content is more than trivial in relation to the lubricating oil. In the combustion chamber, the solvents will burn off - leaving the lubricant - but I'm more concerned with the bearings in the crankcase.
  11. graucho

graucho Active Member

Good points yet....
    Over 36 years. 3 choppers, 1 drag bike, 37 mini choppers, 11 MB's, 4 street rods, 2 racing boats,
    hydrogen engine designer, and growing up the son of a small engine repair shop, I think
    I know a little about the storage and care of engines. :cool:
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  12. will_start

will_start Member

ok, I'm no expert on this storage stuff, I remember reading somewhere you can put two-stroke oil into the cylinder and it'll help it store.
    Is this true ?

I'll have two stroke oil to use, so when the law changes in 2018, I can pull my bike out,
  13. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Not discrediting you one bit, I love reading the insight of other mechanics out there. I have to agree with Acreeguy's opinion and further throw my 2 cents in. Nothing replaces frequent and regular oil changes for max engine life. I've never had bad luck with stabil but have with engine "cleansing" products. I run all my carb bowls dry before in onset of winter here in the North East. I make a lot of money tho from people who leave gas in them!

K-1000 (stay away!) IMHO. I think I did serious dammage to a 98 Grand Am Gt with it! Traded the car in immeadiately after using it!
  14. seanhan

seanhan Member

I just start up my 2 strokes in the off season and run them a couple of times. that seems to do it. But Its pretty warm here all winter.
    I did use stabil and it does work good for keeping your gas all winter.
  15. terrence

terrence Member

Im also a major fan of seafoam. It must be a big product in the north central states.
    If I know 100 people 85 use it in my town. People who are a seafoam fan usually don't
    use it full strength unless trying to remedy a problem or as a fuel line de-icer when
    its -10 below or colder. Since I use it constantly in 1/3 dose amounts all summer, all I
    do to winterize is drain the tank, run it dry and then drain the bowl.
  16. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I "think" I know a little about the storage and care of engines too, but I don't feel the need to try and prove anything to anyone with my "qualifications". Sorry if you felt threatened or something. :)
  17. graucho

graucho Active Member

Not at all. IMO
    There are a ton of people here who are "the best of the best" ego's are high. Years of experience are constantly challenged. Ill admit truthfully my ego's high. I'm constantly frustrated here. I give 5% of my knowledge due to this. (see, sorry high ego) I love to teach but there's no fair way to do it here. So, I stay in tune here since I'm selfish and still learn alot from people. :cool::grin:
  18. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Something we agree on!!! I absolutely hate these people, equally without prejudice.

I just keep comming back to learn!

Hahaha Just jokin Guy's! ooop's sorry, and Gal's
  19. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I run all 2 cycles dry after every use, unless I will use it again within a couple of days. Some people run a little Stabilizer mixed with the gas at all times.
  20. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

will-start --may have the money saving -- best all around thought

a small shot of (ANY) oil into the cylinder
    turn the engne over a few times in the off position
    this is a good storage method -- especially for long periods -- even years

that's regarding the heart of the engine
    back to -- the gas issue
    I think all of the ideas above would probably case no harm
    but - after a life time of just running engines dry of gas before storage
    many were stored outside -- covered -- close to 9 months out of the year
    I have never had 1 that wouldn't start after storage

I bought an old 51 Chevy years ago
    it had been sitting in the back yard of the seller for around 15 years ?
    with a fair shoot of oil in each cylinder and fresh battery, new gas
    it fired up in a few minutes

now as wiil-start has stated up above -- RIDE THAT THING