Gas can as tank?

tank

another tank picture

Attachments

• bike 2.jpg
    bike 2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 554
Hmmmm I say Hmmmmm. I'm wondering if you couldn't just use the gas tank from the crappytime that you've given up on for your 4 stroke rack mount. Just keep it strapped to the frame and run a line back to the engine. Hmmmmm

Here's what I use for an extra tank. I bought a bike rack, removed the rack part, turned it upside down and attached a HT tank. I sealed the vent on the stock tank and let the HT tank do the venting.

Attachments

• Schwinn Mongoose.jpg
    Schwinn Mongoose.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 558
I can't find the pics now but Someone did exactly what you are asking and had no problems with draw from the tank to the gebe engine... I'll keep looking for the thread

Beach Bike

Sooner,

Saw Willie's great story on GEBE. He seems to be having lots of fun with the rig.

Good work on the auxiliary tank set-up. Lots of people here interested in longer runs and fewer stops. Just might give it shot myself, but will likely tuck it in under seat with one of those tanks from down under.

Where did Willie locate the "muffler?" Just curious. I already know, after two failures, that typical mufflers for these engines do not work unless they are built too big/long to be practical, at least for me. I like 'em small, tight and simple - ;}

Last edited by a moderator:
I've decided to go with my second idea (which Codi79 also suggested). I'll carry a two gallon CARB-rated gas can with premix on the left side of the rear wheel. That should give me enough range for the roughly 300 mile ride without needing a gas station en route. Stop every 30 miles or so and refill the tank on the engine. It'll give me the opportunity to stretch my legs a bit every hour and makes it easier to fill up for the return trip since I don't need to pull the bike up to the pump. Thanks for all the input.

Last edited:
I would get a ~5-10 gallon marine tank, the type that is used in small motorboats. You could turn it sideways or just strap it to a rack. (or, for that matter, put it in a saddlebag or basket)

5 gallons of gas weighs over 43 lbs, 10 gallons- over 86 lbs. Yikes!

A can't imagine my....resolve....holding out for an over 500 mile trip that 5 gallons would represent. ;)

Back